2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Rename 'Program Files' & 'Documents...' Folders?

On a virgin installation (my HD died after I got the new PC all tweaked -- ARGH!), is it possible to rename the standard MS folders of "Program Files" to "PF"? I imagine there are several programs that will be "pre-loaded" into the original folder, but I am willing to reinstall if necessary and I have a utility from PCMag called Change-of-Address that may be useful.

Also, is it possible to rename "Documents and Settings" to "Docs"? And possibly move some of the "settings" to a folder "Settings"?

I have never used the "Documents and Settings" folder because the name is just too long - print a file name on the bottom of a document and it's UGLY! But there are a lot of programs that default to the "Documents and Settings" folder and won't let me change the default. So it would be convenient if I could change the official default folder.

PS - I am comfortable editing the registry.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rename 'Program Files' & 'Documents...' Folders?

I wouldn't recommend to do it. The folders are you talking about are system folders and necessary for Windows to function properly. Of course, you can rename them, if you want, (or use TweakUI to change them) and edit Registry, re-install all programs etc., but it is highly possible Windows will not function after such operation.
    "Documents and Settings" folder is needed for Windows to recognize your user profile, and user doesn't need to access it through Windows Explorer (there are other ways to change settings.) I don't see any need to point document destination for this folder - substitutions are available (use C:My Documents instead of Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocuments). But if you need to do so anyway, you can use short names: progra~1 instead of Program Files, docume~1 instead of Documents and Settings etc. And if you think they're ugly, how about old DOS names c:arch25strgdrwr1result0.txt ? Wasn't they beautiful?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

hi hobkirk

I partly endorse what kaplinb says.

If you're looking to get rid of the names "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings" altogether, then you're almost certainly SOL:
    <UL><LI>when it comes to anything involving Windows architecture (e.g. IE and - funnily enough - OE) you are stuck with using "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings". As a rule of thumb, if something is OS "pre-installed", then it is better not to try to move it.
    <LI>certain applications, including some written by Microsoft, will ignore Registry Values for say, your ProgramFilesDir and CommonFilesDir, and write to the install defaults regardless.
    <LI>subject to that, you can have a number of different "Program Files" directories (useful if you're loading a large number of apps and you wish to reduce the nesting levels for subclasses - such as "Office" or "Tools" or "Themes") and you can also move/relocate MOST of the Documents & Settings folders (drag & drop is a material timesaver here).
    <LI>my experience is that attempting to relocate your Temporary Internet Files folder will simply be ignored by IE - which will continue to cache to the install default.
    <LI>OE will not load unless it is in "Program Files" AND the ProgramFilesDir Registry Setting is set to the install default.
    <LI>if you do want to change the ProgramFilesDir setting, make sure you change the ProgramFilesPath setting to the same value, as some installation routines install a number of the files to ProgramFilesPath and not to ProgramFilesDir.
    <LI>renaming "My Documents" and "My Computer", as you probably already know, is basically only an issue of investing the time and attention.
    <LI>as it sounds like you're a sole user, you may already be aware that merging most of the All Users and Default User profile folders with your own can also be successful. [/list]If you do wish to carry an amended version of your plan through, you'll be looking at investing a fair amount of time.
    Gre

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    I would also agree with much of what has been said. There shouldn't be any need to change these important Windows defaults. If you do, the time and effort you save will be re-spent when you're installing to type new paths. It may come as a surprise that so many things won't work unless you've used the defaults.
    However, you can make some changes to certain system defaults using 3rd party tweakers, the best of which is XteQ. This lets you change a whole range of things, provided you have the appropriate add-ins.

Click My Sig