Thanks

IE9 worked with Windows XP; not so much with Win7 Pro

I finally made the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 (Professional, 64-bit).
    I'm using all the same hardware with the exception of two new 1-TB hard drives; I migrated all my IE, Firefox and Chrome favorites.
    My job requires the use of Internet Explorer, no version later than 9; so I use that only for work, Firefox for general web browsing, and Chrome for streaming video such as Netflix and Hulu.
    Anyway, my job is doing onsite warranty computer repair; I get my assignments overnight and log in to IE in the morning to print the work orders, check on part availability (shipped overnight to either UPS or FedEx) and to download any BIOS or driver updates, or procedures, I need to do that day's work. Each work order has embedded links to Google Maps for the customer sites, and links to iShip (for UPS) or FedEx for tracking the parts in order to see if they're available for pickup that day. iShip used to be used for both UPS and FedEx, but sometime over the last 2 months when I was out on medical leave they switched to the FedEx site, which may explain one of my problems.

With Windows XP Pro/IE-9 I could access iShip with no trouble at all - the embedded link would give me a popup window with the current information; but now, with Win 7 and IE-9, all I get is a "Page not found" message in that popup window. I can use iShip easily enough in Chrome or Firefox, so the website and links are just fine - but for some reason they don't work any more with IE-9. The embedded links for Google Maps work fine with IE-9, as do the links to the FedEx website; all these are embedded within the same online work order. So I don't know where the problem is - certainly not with the various sites, since they haven't changed - the change has been with my own computer. I've added the sites (https secure sites) to my Trusted Sites, so that isn't the issue. But I'm at a loss to find out what the deal actually IS.

Some other oddities with IE that I have noticed since my upgrade - hopefully they might point towards a single underlying issue:

My company uses an Outlook Web App for company email - whenever I try to create an email, the form looks like this:

409928509.jpg
    A whole lot of space for the words "To" and "From" and not very much space for the actual information that goes into those fields.
    I'm also noticing that the cursor is acting oddly within web forms - specifically, if I hit ENTER to go to a new line, I cannot return to the previous line by using the Backspace key. All I get if I try is a sort of "milling about" of the cursor - sometimes it even advances to the next line if I hit the Backspace key. But this only happens in web forms, and only with IE-9. (I'm typing this post using Firefox and am not having any of the issues I am describing.)

Even more frustrating is Internet Explorer's new fascination with crashing. If I have several tabs open, or several different windows - the Google Maps links open up new windows - you can count on Internet Explorer suddenly crashing for no apparent reason. This absolutely NEVER happened with Windows XP. In fact, while I was getting that screen cap for the Outlook appearance, IE-9 was kind enough to oblige and crashed; I copied the relevant data that resulted, and here it is:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 9.0.8112.16563
    Application Timestamp: 53d158eb
    Fault Module Name: dbghelp.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c5ac
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000000320dd
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: e1be
    Additional Information 2: e1beb5e965fc9390c2a392d3f35fcbfc
    Additional Information 3: b80a
    Additional Information 4: b80a2c27c1b8f17946e95cbb66d4f651

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    I have no idea if the above information is helpful at all, but I sure hope it is. My frustration is mounting - I'm trapped using IE-9 for my job, and my "new" install of Windows 7 is giving me problems I never had before with XP, and it's making my daily morning job prep take nearly twice as long as it used to.

Help?
    Have a cookie -

Don

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how you managed to get IE 9 installed onto a XP system as IE 8 is/was the max for XP.

However, as everything works in other browsers then the problem would usually be with IE.

Resetting to defaults or running IE without add-ons are two diagnostic steps you could try - also check to see if you are using IE in 32 or 64 bit browser mode by right clicking on the taskbar icon.

If it just displays as Internet Explorer then it's 32 bit and it will display as Internet Explorer 64 bit otherwise.

Another is to upgrade to IE 10 should FedEx have moved on from IE 9 during your absence, but in IE 10 you can tap F12 and change the Browser Mode to earlier versions in the pop up, as well as the Document Mode. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...0-details.aspx

If IE 10 is unsuitable then uninstalling it in Installed Updates will revert you to IE 9 - albeit probably to the 64 bit browser version which you can change by unpinning the taskbar icon then open IE from All Programs and pin its icon to the taskbar.

IE 10 is default 32 bit browser mode but can be changed to the 64 bit version by going Tools - Internet options - Advanced then scrolling down to the Security section and checking Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-21 at 03:42.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2014-08-21)

Thanks
    Well, that's my memory for you; it must have been IE-8, but all I remember is that every doggone website I would go to had something to say about my outdated browser. Frustrating, but if work only supports up to that version, I was stuck with it. So I was thinking it had been the same version as with XP, but it isn't after all - that is quite a relief in a sense, since i answers the question of what went wrong between then and now? IE-9 went wrong, apparently.
    And when I installed Windows 7, I initially set the updates to automatic, since there's really no choice in the matter anyway, and I suddenly found myself with IE-11, which was so crash-happy it makes my system at this moment seem pretty darn stable. I moved back to IE-10, and that crashed as well - but I didn't stick with it long enough to find out just how often. I moved back once more to IE-9 almost immediately, since it's the latest version they support at work. Now ti crashes less frequently than version 11 did, but still - only at the most critical moments (of course).

I'll go with IE-10 for now and keep the F12 and unpinning tricks up my sleeve; I am running the 64-bit browser, by the way.

You didn't say so, but I can't help but wonder - is the 32-bit version more stable than the 64-bit version, and would there be a problem using it on my system since it's 64-bit Windows?
    Have a cookie -

Don

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run IE 10 in 64 bit mode without any additional problems to its 32 bit version as I was also getting the IE has stopped working.

It tends to be add-ons that cause IE to crash, but if it's intermittent it is difficult to nail down.

It usually occurred for me when I was closing windows after including Hyperlinks in forum posts on another forum which have never occurred on here.

Initially thought it was Shockwave or the MS ones that run without permission which you can get rid of for a while with a reset to defaults, but because of the intermittent nature - have never been able to confirm either.

As for running IE in 64 bit mode, if you visit any sites that use Java, you will need to download the 64 bit version of that - although you would normally get a pop up to say Java was required etc.

The same would have applied if you were using IE 9 in 64 bit mode.

Is anything showing up in Event Viewer for the IE crashes - Reliability history usually reports them but doesn't normally have an explanation, but if it's because of something else, then Event Viewer may have it.

Have you tried changing to Compatibility mode - with IE 11 it's done from within Tools - can't remember exactly where now as I'm running IE 10 because of compatibility problems with IE 11 and my ISP e-mails.

Thanks
    Well, the Event Log did provide some information, but it doesn't look very informative:

The program iexplore.exe version 9.0.8112.16563 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
    Process ID: a24
    Start Time: 01cfbd33a84fac05
    Termination Time: 15
    Application Path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Report Id:
    Going to the Details tab, this is the binary data provided in the "Friendly view":

In Bytes

0000: 54 00 6F 00 70 00 20 00 T.o.p. .
    0008: 6C 00 65 00 76 00 65 00 l.e.v.e.
    0010: 6C 00 20 00 77 00 69 00 l. .w.i.
    0018: 6E 00 64 00 6F 00 77 00 n.d.o.w.
    0020: 20 00 69 00 73 00 20 00 .i.s. .
    0028: 69 00 64 00 6C 00 65 00 i.d.l.e.
    0030: 00 00 00 00 ....
    "Top level window is idle" - that can't be due to actual real-world idle time, because it would normally happen within 15 - 20 minutes of turning the computer on, and always while I was actively using IE. So clearly this is 'behind-the-scenes' idleness.

The crashing has stopped (knock on wood) but the problem with not being able to move the cursor to previous lines via the backspace key - that is still an issue in some forms (notably the Outlook WebApp). So the problem may lie there; but it's what we are required to use, in conjunction with this version of IE. So until we're given the ok to upgrade, it's probably going to be a minor pain for me to get used to.

In the meantime I'll try compatibility mode (once I find the option) to see if that helps at all. Thanks again!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are using IE 9 or 10 then click on the broken page symbol in the URL search box next to the Refresh arrowed circle.