Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Uploading_Internet unexplained increase.

Hi all. I have just discovered that over the last 2 months my upload (data upload) on the internet has skyrocketed from an average of 30-40mb per day, to over 800mb per day. I am not aware as to how this is happening. I have been in touch with my ISP (BigPond Australia) & they tell me they can't advise me as to where on the internet this "uploading" is going nor what site/program is responsible for it. They have referred it to their investigators who have not contacted me since I made the complaint a few days ago (they did say it might take about 5 working days to contact me). My problem is the rate of uploading is continuing and fast using up my account ( 12+GB of 15GB in 18 days this month). With the weekend coming up I am afraid to turn on my laptop; as I can't hope to hear from them until Monday (it is currently Friday afternoon in Australia). Can anybody assist with:
    1) How can I check myself as to what is happening - where or what is the cause of this upload rate;
    2) Is there any way I can stop it - it is not happening with my permission.
    PS:
    I am running Windows 8.1 and I have noticed a cloud icon on the task bar - it does not have an "exit" when I right click on it; however it does say it is "empty"'
    The other program I have running (which I suspect as I have not had it very long) is DropKick - however I have only used it once. Checking the Task Manager has not helped as I can't see any "suspects" there.
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated - casso.

Thanks
    I'd look at MSConfig > Startup and uncheck Skydrive (or whichever 'cloud' software is auto starting), Apply it and reboot, check by running your normal software programs, in case one of them also triggers it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I'd look at MSConfig > Startup and uncheck Skydrive (or whichever 'cloud' software is auto starting), Apply it and reboot, check by running your normal software programs, in case one of them also triggers it.
    Thanks satrow - I have turned off OneDrive ( cloud came with windows8), although I wasn't using it. It does not like it and displays an exclamation mark (problem) on the icon on the task bar at the bottom of my screen; it does say "uploading and downloading files over a metered connection is turned off" . I have also used control panel to uninstall "DropBox", which I wasn't using anyway. Only time will tell now. I would love to know how to uninstall OneDrive; there appears to be no way of doing it in the apps list. Thanks for posting.
    PS
    I can't find SkyDrive; it appears to have been replaced by Microsoft with One Drive as the OneDrive website https://onedrive.live.com/ tells me all my SkyDrive files are waiting to be loaded on OneDrive.
    casso

Thanks
    You could try Process monitor (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/s...rnals/bb896645) to monitor what processes are running. However, it will need some research as to the best way of seeing the data - you'll need to use filters to see what's happening. It's a heavyweight version if task manager.

You can also use something like Think broadband's tbbmeter (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html) to see what (and when) these downloads occur - and use Process monitor to see what's happening at that time.

Good luck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One method to find network usage is to use sysinternals Process Explorer. It will require a little setup though. First you must open it as Administrator. Next you should right click any column and then click, “Select Columns”. Next click the “Process Network” tab. In Process Network you want to check both, “Receive Bytes” and Send Bytes”. Then click “OK” to exit.
    It will be very convenient to move your newly visible columns to a spot where they are easier to see. Simply use the scroll bar to see the “Network Receive” and “Network Send” columns which should now be visible. Most likely, they are far to the right. Mouse drag each as far to the left to make them easy to see when Process Explorer is opened.
    If you mouse click the top of “Network Receive” column, then all data of all processes will now be will be displayed in descending order from top to bottom.
    This will now give you a simple display of all processes sending and receiving on your internet. The maximum user should be right at the top.
    Right clicking any process will pop a menu that allows, kill, suspend, restart, etc.

Good luck
    Michael

Thanks
    You should be able to (carefully!) track down and disable all the triggers for OneDrive, or w/e it's called today , using Autoruns.

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysi...s-pro/lesson6/