New Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect rescue disks fail

I just bought this Toshiba Satellite to discover the pain of "pre-install".
    Wanted to put image backup onto flash drive and got Macrium's Reflect free backup to try.
    So far I cannot get the command line verify.exe to produce other than it is performing the verification then immediately provide a command prompt when validating the image backup.
    I have made a rescue disk (DVD-RW) of the Windows version twice and the Linux version once all of which will not boot the system and both contain very different file sets.
    Can someone clue me in what I am might be doing incorrectly, verify this is normal operating procedure for Macrium Reflect, or suggest a better backup software that writes images to flash drives?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    What exactly happens when you try to boot from the flash drive? Is the laptop running Windows 8?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Disable fast boot, then enter BIOS/UFI to make sure your are able to boot to a USB stick.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2014-08-21),spark55 (2014-08-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx My recall was thinking it was secure boot not fast boot so thanx 4 the help on booting. Hope someone can help on that verify.exe cuz all I get is a line saying it is verifying b4 it produces a new command prompt. BTW I had run SFC prior to running image backup.
    OS is 8.1

Thanks
    Spark,

Run the Verify process from within the Macrium Software don't try to run it as a standalone. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    Thanx My recall was thinking it was secure boot not fast boot so thanx 4 the help on booting. Hope someone can help on that verify.exe cuz all I get is a line saying it is verifying b4 it produces a new command prompt. BTW I had run SFC prior to running image backup.
    OS is 8.1
    Good point

Disabling secure boot may be needed as well, especially on brand new Windows 8.1 (EUFI based) systems where boot functionality is needed.
    "Boot functionality" relating to the need to utilize bootable disks and being able to multi-boot other operating systems.

How do I boot from CD/DVD/USB in Windows 8?

Can someone clue me in what I am might be doing incorrectly, verify this is normal operating procedure for Macrium Reflect, or suggest a better backup software that writes images to flash drives?
    Images should NOT be written to flash drives, instead use an external drive.
    Flash drives are far too slow and error prone.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In most cases I would concur but since the image file is only 18GB it fits comfortably in 64GB FD.
    @RetiredGeek: help me out I looked in the Macrium Reflect Free 5.3.7... display and see no where to run verify from that. I get "Verifying image backup" then a command prompt.
    Hope U have a secret code which exposes an "elevated" command prompt cuz that is where I have been running the verify command. Please. I read that verify will return 0 or 1. Not familiar enough with Windows in command prompt window. Would that be like a Linux command val=C:\path\verify.exe ... Where val would be assigned the 0/1? Can't understand why it thinks it is verifying then quits.
    @clint: Was able to get success with rescue disk made for windows PE. Tried the one for Linux and got an error regarding missing/corrupted file. Will try a remake on it. This was with modifying ONLY fast boot i.e. disabled it.

Thanks
    Spark,

It's on the Other Tasks Menu.

Here's a tutorial on How-to-Geeks.

Sorry, I no longer have the Free version as I use the Pro version (well worth the money) which has an auto-verify feature so I'm doing this from memory. But you can see the menu option in the How-to-Geeks article. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    @clint: Was able to get success with rescue disk made for windows PE. Tried the one for Linux and got an error regarding missing/corrupted file. Will try a remake on it. This was with modifying ONLY fast boot i.e. disabled it.
    The Linux boot disk is not guaranteed to work on all systems. If this is the case, then use the Windows PE disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am fine now on rescue DVD. Can see NO verify capability within FREE version so stuck with using command prompt as admin and verify.exe. No luck with verify there so will run SFC scan and recreate an image as I discovered when I ran SFC after the image create there were corrupt/missing files and don't know if that has an effect on the verify. It should have responded negatively according to the documentation I've read, if it did, not just Oh yes we are verifying tadah tadah ... Command prompt's prompt.
    Last edited by spark55; 2014-08-24 at 11:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK just finished the image backup to a 64GB NTFS flash drive successfully.
    The trick is to use the correct path to the file. Unlike the documents in the knowledge base, I had read, there is NO PATH required to the filename on the target device, i.e.
    command prompt> C:\path-to-command\verify.exe "E:\filenameOFimageBackup-00-00.mrimg". I did use -r -s -l "C:\verifylog.txt" options.
    The display from using verify.exe is as follows:
    'Verifying Macrium Image Files
    * <what appears to be a preliminary scan percentaged>
    E:\filenameOFimageBackup-00-00.mrimg
    Verifying: xx%
    Verify Success <------The results are printed

It took about 25 minutes to complete.
    Never learned how to get the 0/1 completion codes tho.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    I am fine now on rescue DVD. Can see NO verify capability within FREE version so stuck with using command prompt .
    On my version (5.3) you have to select the 'Restore' tab and browse for an image file - once selected the Verify option appears, like so:
    Image1.png
    HTH you or others.