New Lounger
    Thanks

Catalogue Mailmerge Too Complicated

Good afternoon

I've worked through the Catalogue Mailmerge Tutorial here and had some success, but I can't navigate the syntax. I need some help or a simpler way to structure the text (I'm much more comfortable with Excel) so I can work my way through the language.

My primary key is Program Name, secondry key is Managing Office and I have about 3,500 records. I need to produce a letter for each combination of Program Name and Managing Office, with a list of Activities and their Managers on each letter. Each letter needs to refer tothe primary and secondry key. I also need to include text before and after the list of Activities.

As I have said I can see how the tutorial is very close to what I need but when I try to tweak it I break it. Is there a guide to constructing these strings of commands that I can try to follow?

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom - please.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The idea is that you copy then entire field that best suits your needs and edit the field names and the formatting to suit your requirements.

Other than that, merely saying it's "too complicated" doesn't give you any chance of getting specific help.

For some worked examples that might serve as a useful guide, see the attachments to the posts at:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...html#post23345
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-m...html#post30327
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post928391
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Paul - Point Taken

I've deidentified some text data and mocked up a letter template for clarity.

Perhaps I only need one KEY that refers to two fields - Program Short Name and Managing Office. I also need a page break for each change to the KEY value.

Is this possible and if so can you point me to an example?

Please excuse my poor posting etiquette.

Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I have already pointed you to three examples. Granted they use two keys, but the principles are the same. As it is, your attached mailmerge main document hasn't incorporated anything from the tutorial, so there's nothing I can tell you about what you might be doing wrong in that regard.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Partial Success

Hello again Paul

I've had some success thanks to the tutorial and some modification of the spreadsheet containing the merge fields.

I had to concatenate the two fields that comprise the unique identifier to get it to work successfully.

The concatenation is not an elegant solution. Can the same result be achieved within the word document?

Kind regards

Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Got it

I worked out how to specify 2 fields for the key in order to replicate the functionality in the tutorial. Attached for anyone to use.

Thanks to Paul for the tutorial and patience.