2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

antivirus software for old xp machine?

I still have a computer that runs XP, although I use it infrequently. My paid antivirus software has expired. Can anyone recommend free antivirus software that will work decently on it? It already has Malwarebytes Premium running whenever it's on.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the free AVG on a WinXP computer just last week, no problem.
    http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing I would consider is if any AV app you decide on have released any sort of statement as to how long they intend to continue supporting XP.

Some have said they will discontinue support for XP in April, 2015. So check.

AVG in the past has a good history of supporting discontinued OS for several years. My only problem with AVG free (which I still use) is its occasional false positives (which would be true in the paid) and ads (which wouldn't).

Nice thing about a paid version of most AV packages is an included firewall which should also be undated from XP's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

DL2theEnd (2014-09-15)

Thanks
    If your reasonably computer savvy, Comodo Internet Suite is a good choice for XP. I still run XP and I use it, and it's free. Plus you can use the Comodo DNS settings.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-...t-security.php
    Hawk

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Comodo's firewall a lot and they too have along history of supporting end of life OS'. BUT, the present firewall is a serious pain in the butt (very much like Vista's dreaded UAC) on an old installation of XP. If you install as the first app after a clean install of XP it is a joy to use on all subsequent apps that get installed and works well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    BUT, the present firewall is a serious pain in the butt (very much like Vista's dreaded UAC) on an old installation of XP. If you install as the first app after a clean install of XP it is a joy to use on all subsequent apps that get installed and works well.
    That's true, but the more you use it, the less you have to deal with it.
    I like the firewall and AV part of it both. It's not as resource hungry as a lot of those apps, and updates in the background with no trouble.
    Hawk

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    BUT, the present firewall is a serious pain in the butt (very much like Vista's dreaded UAC) on an old installation of XP.
    Could you explain a little what kind of problems I might encounter?

Thanks
    The Windows Firewall that comes with Windows XP, is more than satisfactory. No need to look elsewhere.

I and many of my customers still run XP and we all use AVG 2014 FREE.
    Worrying about just when AVG will withdraw their support for XP, is like worrying about getting struck by lightning on a 100% clear day. Don't fret it!!!

Malware Bytes? It's not an Anti-Virus program, so don't rely on it for that. It does however find and remove a lot of misc. malware. I use it too.

But no program will find and remove more Sypware/Adware than "Super Anti-Spyware". The latest FREE version is really great! I use it too. So give it a try! Eh?

Happy Labor Day, Y'all !!!

Last edited by DrWho; 2014-08-25 at 18:59.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks. I don't use the machine much and I really don't want to fuss with it.

Thanks
    My 2 cents on Comodo Suite: I am using it on an older 2 core xp machine
    : The whole interface is hard to understand and I find it basically annoying
    : I have not taken the time to try to prove it bit I believe it is hampering the operation of my computer i.e. slow ups that are not reflected as a hungry task in task manager.

AVG is good but I had problems w/ Zone Alarm firewall running at the same time, w/ windows FW it should be OK. If I was not planning on migrating to a new machine and W7 I might take the time to go that way.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    My 2 cents on Comodo Suite: I am using it on an older 2 core xp machine
    : The whole interface is hard to understand and I find it basically annoying
    : I have not taken the time to try to prove it bit I believe it is hampering the operation of my computer i.e. slow ups that are not reflected as a hungry task in task manager.
    For my own experience, I don't find that to be the case. I used Zone Alarm for years until it got too irritating for my tastes, and I never did care for AVG.

I guess it's all a matter of taste.
    Hawk

Thanks
    I don't find that to be the case. I used Zone Alarm for years until it got too irritating for my taste

The slow downs may be something else, big suites are always my first target in problem elimination. I loved ZA for years and had a pay version then too many reminders .... I have not decided what I will try first when I build a more up to date W7 machine
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

jwoods
    Bitdefender has stated they will support Windows XP until 2016...

http://www.bitdefender.com/news/bitd...sers-2858.html

They have a free version of their AV software.

I currently use their Internet Security suite on 3 machines...2 Win7 laptops, and one Win XP SP3 desktop that is now a print server.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My two cents: I've used Avast Free off and on for several years, relying mostly on MSSE. I switched to Avast permanently when XP support went away and have had zero problems with it, and AFAIK, XP support isn't going away any time soon.