Lounger
    Thanks

Webssearches refuses to be removed

I have windows 7 64 running on a Compaq610 and normally use Firefox browser but also have IE and Chrome on board for various reasons. At some point in time I somehow gained the nasty webssearches which I promptly used Revo uninstaller to get rid of. BUT now, every time a browser is booted, the first tab comes up as webssearches and not my home page.
    A click on the home icon & the tab reverts to the correct home screen. This happens on every browser.
    I have searched all browser extensions and plug ins, nothing.
    I have run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Hitman and Toolbar cop to no avail.
    I have searched for any file with any name like webssearches with 2 different search engines. No indication that it exists on the PC and yet it persists.
    Any ideas would be welcome.
    Last edited by malaus; 2014-08-22 at 18:27. Reason: error in name of subject

Thanks
    Hello malaus:

Can you confirm the correct spelling please.

In your post, it's spelled two different ways in three places.

Thank you.
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 1PW For This Useful Post:

malaus (2014-08-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad you asked that. I'm a dill. I have edited the original to show the correct name "webssearches" which is the nasty in question. Getting very frustrated.
    A strange thing that I didn't mention is that when I use a browser through Sandboxie (normal process) the problem does not arise.

Wallah, found the problem. I was looking for a complex solution but I found that it was very simple really. My early removal attempts cleaned out the malware but left behind the problem described.
    I discovered that every short cut to a browser had its target set to the malware home page. That's why it only occurred with the first tab.
    I amended each short cut target to the correct setting and all is now well.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by malaus; 2014-08-23 at 02:23. Reason: Solution found