Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drive recovery question

I ran XP on my old computer until my motherboard cracked. I can’t afford the cost of professional recovery services.
    Can I install my xp harddrive into my new computer that runs W8.1 and attempt to recover my documents, emails etc? I would want to save them to a flash drive. Then I would remove the xp drive.
    Is something like this possible?

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In a word, yes. The safest method is to place the hard disk into a USB enclosure and then plug it into a running PC. You can then copy anything you want - assuming the hard disk hasn't died along with the motherboard.
    What type of hard disk is it, IDE, SATA?

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-08-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Paul,
    It's and IDE drive. What is a USB enclosure?

Thanks
    Kevin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber53 View Post
    Hey Paul,
    It's and IDE drive. What is a USB enclosure?
    Here's one:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/2...rive_Enclosure

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    I looked up USB enclosure. So I buy an enclosure and run a patch cord to my computer and simply select the new drive letter to run from?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    Thanks
    Kevin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've purchase and installed a USB Enclosure but I am denied access to the contents of the drive even with Administrative Authority. I don't see any passwords to be entered. I follow the steps up to a point where I must "change" something but am clueless as to what I should change.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I suggest you install Take Ownership. This will add a TakeOwnership to the menu that shows up when you right click a folder or a drive. I suggest you right click the drive in Windows Explorer and then choose Take Ownership. That should solve your issues accessing the drive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-08-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui but I must have done something wrong. Installed Take Control, Registry Editor said it was added to the registry but when I right click on Drive I, Take Control doesn't show up in the menu box. I tried right click on Drive C and Take Control doesn't come up on the menu either.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, it's my fault. It won't work for drives, it just works for folders. This means you will have to do this for each top level folder individually. You can also do it for individual files,if you need to take ownership of any file in the root folder of your drive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Sorry, it's my fault. It won't work for drives, it just works for folders. This means you will have to do this for each top level folder individually. You can also do it for individual files,if you need to take ownership of any file in the root folder of your drive.
    Rui,
    I’m running W8.1 and I have Windows xp in the USB Enclosure. I do not want to change anything in the W8.1 registry. I want to access My Documents and my Outlook program on the xp drive inside the USB Enclosure.

From what I’ve read on Take Ownership, it seems to be designed to Take Control of files and folders of a functioning OS registry, which for me, is W8.1. I have no way to install Take Control to my xp drive as I can’t access the drive.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thamks
    Kevin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Run "diskmgmt.msc" from Start > Run, take a shot of the window with the Snipping Tools and post it here.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,
    I'm in deeper water than I normally swim in. I hope this is what you are asking for.
    Disc Mgmt.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,
    I'm in deeper water than I normally swim in. I hope this is what you are asking for. I'm including a screen shot of my xp drive when I open it also,
    Thanks, Kevin
    Disc Mgmt.jpg
    Screen Shot USB Enclosure.png

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber53 View Post
    Rui,
    I’m running W8.1 and I have Windows xp in the USB Enclosure. I do not want to change anything in the W8.1 registry. I want to access My Documents and my Outlook program on the xp drive inside the USB Enclosure.

From what I’ve read on Take Ownership, it seems to be designed to Take Control of files and folders of a functioning OS registry, which for me, is W8.1. I have no way to install Take Control to my xp drive as I can’t access the drive.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thamks
    Kevin
    You are, Kevin. TakeOwnership will be used to make you the owner of the files (thus you will be taking ownership of those files), which are now likely owned by a user from your XP computer. It won't affect registry, it affects files and folders and only those that you chose to own, through the right click.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast