Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Rui,
    Yeah baby, you da man!!
    Ok I can access everything from my old xp drive. There is still one small problem. When I try to open any of the Office xp programs they all say, "This only works on installed programs" I had XP Pro and Office XP full version installed.

Can I re-install Office xp directly to the XP drive only? If I can I'm hoping that it will find the appropriate data on the XP drive and then allow me to access it. What do you think?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    when I try to open any of the Office xp programs they all say, "This only works on installed programs"
    Right, Windows-based programs such as your OfficeXP/2002 have to be installed so as to create the Start Menu items/icons, copy files to the C:\Program Files [on 32-bit OS] or C:\Program Files (x86) [on 64-bit OS], copy support files to other places such as C:\Windows and create the Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the programs.

Office 2014 is the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber53 View Post
    @Rui,
    Yeah baby, you da man!!
    Ok I can access everything from my old xp drive. There is still one small problem. When I try to open any of the Office xp programs they all say, "This only works on installed programs" I had XP Pro and Office XP full version installed.

Can I re-install Office xp directly to the XP drive only? If I can I'm hoping that it will find the appropriate data on the XP drive and then allow me to access it. What do you think?
    Sorry, it does not work like that at all. Not only it won't install where you want it (some stuff will still be on your system drive), but it won't "find" anything on the XP drive. You will have to copy whatever you need from the XP drive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2014-08-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,
    Thanks for all your patience and help.

I thought that the xp drive could function normally but separate from my W8 host computer. I was going to open windows xp>control panel>add/delete programs>re-install office. After that I wanted to run system restore which hopefully would restore my personal folders in Outlook.

This all hinges on xp not knowing the correct time and date which would screw up the 90day max in system restore. I was going to disconnect from the internet and try to turn the clock off in my computer. I can re-install office for something like 30 days before having to register it so no internet needed there.

It all sounded good to me.
    Last edited by plumber53; 2014-08-26 at 20:48. Reason: change two words

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber53 View Post
    It all sounded good to me.
    Sorry, it did sound a lot better than it actually is. There are not many hopes for what you can do. The only real possibility of using that disk again would be to go the virtual machine route. This would mean to use something like Disk2vhd and create a VHD from it, that you would then use in a VM, either with Virtual PC or some other VMs. This is no easy route, though, and it would still be possible that it wouldn't work (driver issues). If it did, however, all your software would work just as before and no activation would be needed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What if I pull the W8 hard drive from the computer and insert the xp drive? I have the Windows xp Pro and Office xp Pro discs also.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Your XP disk/installation won't have the drivers for the machine you are using it with and will fail to boot. Conversion to virtual is your best bet.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Your XP disk/installation won't have the drivers for the machine you are using it with and will fail to boot. Conversion to virtual is your best bet.

cheers, Paul
    Seems to me that what you really want to do is to copy the documents, etc. (which likely reside in the 'my documents' folder of the old drive) onto the new drive (the win 8 drive),then you will be able to open them from the new PC as long as you have office installed on the new PC.
    Many people think that because they open (for example) word and find a list of recently opened files, that those files 'live' in word. They do not. All word is doing is maintaining a list of recently opened docs. The docs actually exist in a folder on your hard drive. Unless you specifically changed something, that folder is the 'my documents' folder..

Outlook keeps all your emails. etc in a 'PST' file (unless you are using Exchange, and you are likely not). If you want to get email then you need to find that pst file and open it in outlook on the new PC.

For that matter, you could just leave the old drive permanently installed on the new PC and just access files as you need to....

You really do NOT need to make the old drive boot in any way, including as a virtual machine, if all you want to do is to retrieve files from the old drive and move them to the new drive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you see the old drive in Windows Explorer? If so, search it looking for *.doc, *.pst, *.xls, any other file types you want to recover. The search will show you where the files are located, then go there and copy them to the new drive. Assuming you already have "ownership", of course. Files such as *.doc can just be opened, even from outside Word; the .doc extension tells the system to open it with Word anyway, and you wouldn't even need to copy such files to the new drive if the old drive remains connected. For old emails, you will need to include the old .pst file in Outlook on the new PC, which is done in Data File Management > Add. Be sure to rename the old .pst file first, if necessary, to a name which does not clash with an existing .pst file. Your current .pst file is probably called OUTLOOK.PST, and the one from the old computer will probably also have that name, if so just rename the old one to something like OLD COMPUTER.PST before adding it in.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2014-08-28 at 18:54.

Thanks
    You should be careful what you take ownership of on your Windows 8 drive though. Changes in permissions on the Windows 8 drive can cause problems like failure to install programs or failure to update installed programs.
    Delta-V

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would have to say that the best thing to do would be to copy all your files and folders over to your computer, install an upgraded version of Office on your 8.1 computer and move on with an upgraded system and upgraded program. You will be much happier in the long run, and avoid that disk eventually crashing on you and then you really need data recovery. (just a suggestion)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard drive recovery question

I suggest you do as others have said and copy your files to the win 8.1 computer. Then download Libreoffice(free software) and you can access your files without having to purchase MS Office. There are other free programs which will open .doc files too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12