Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to get page2 of web page comments

Ever since I had to reinstall my Win7 system, I have had problems reading certain web pages. For instance, I can't get past the first page of comments in ZDNet articles, such as at
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-wind...tag=TRE5369823
    I can read the first set of comments. When I want to go to page 2, I click [2] or [Next] with some strange results.

In Opera, my default browser, I get no apparent response, except the status line reports "Completed request to twitter". If I copy the address of the particular page, and load it in a new window, I get a note of a file being downloaded with name "default" and Type "file", but nothing downloads. The relevant address is
    http://www.zdnet.com/comments/7000032858/page/2/
    and when I open that in Pale Moon (i.e. Firefox derivative) I get what looks like a page of html code. The first line reads
    {"status":"success","pageElements":{"comments":{"h tml":"<section id=\"comments\" class=\"module\">\n\t<h2 class=\"heading\"><span class=\"int
    When I open the page in IE11, I get a request "open or save 2.json". If open, I get the same html code. This request seems to point to a javascript problem, but how to resolve it is unclear, at least to me. FWIW I don't have a file type or protocol set in Set Associations.
    Can anyone advise please.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've tried the first link and clicking on Next showed I was on Page 2 but the page was exactly the same as Page 1 and the second link produces a pop up asking if I want to open Page 2 and then prompts me to choose what to open the page in.

It could be the website - have you tried any other websites that have multiple page links such as http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...m#step-heading - this one has 10 pages and works for me but you may know of others ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

garthp (2014-08-23)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo. Your link works OK for me, so I'll have to look round for others. I have only noticed the problem with ZDNet so far, so maybe it is just their site that is the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I forgot that you don't need to look further than the Quick Links/Today's Posts on here as there is a Page 2 etc.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried that, thanks, and it works fine. Appears only to be a ZDNet issue then, until I find any different.

Just noticed that on older ZDNet pages, I don't get the problem! It was therefore coincidental this happened at the same time I reloaded my OS, and must be a ZDNet originated cause, so far as I can see.
    Last edited by garthp; 2014-08-23 at 05:41. Reason: adding further info

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could have a browse through the other ZDNet articles to see if any are multi-page to see if the problem persists in those.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been doing just that, strange results. Some multi-pages do, some don't, so I have raised it with ZDNet to see if they can assist.