Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Utility to ensure memory utilitised efficiently

I am looking for a utility to ensure that memory is utilized efficiently i.e a memory optimiser

Thanks
    "Memory Optimizer" Confusion - By Fred Langa
    With most computer things that can be "used up" (hard drive space, bandwidth, etc.) you want as much to be *un*used as possible. But it’s just the opposite with RAM, because unused RAM is wasted RAM.

That’s worth repeating, because it’s the central point: Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Thus, any tool that "frees up" RAM or "creates holes in RAM" or any similar thing is really creating a pool of unused— wasted!— RAM.

You see, your RAM is the fastest memory your PC has. Memory operations in RAM operate at nanosecond speeds (billionths of a second), six orders of magnitude faster than the millisecond speeds (thousandths of a second) of memory operations written to a hard drive, as "virtual memory" in the PC’s swapfile.

"Freeing RAM" means you’re taking data and code out of the fastest memory your system has and transferring it to the swapfile on disk, which is the *slowest* memory your system normally has. That doesn’t help you. In fact, it slows you down!

Windows does a pretty good job of keeping your RAM more or less optimally full, *which is the way you want it* because you WANT as much stuff as possible kept in the fastest-available storage. When RAM gets too full, Windows correctly dribbles out the least-used and least-important code and data to the slower hard-drive storage of virtual memory; and that too is just what you want.

"Memory optimizers" can actually reverse this process so that you end up with unused areas in your best and fastest memory; and tons of code and data shifted to your worst and slowest memory (on the hard drive). In other words, they can do the exact opposite of what they claim; slowing you down, not speeding you up!

There’s still more to the topic, but to save space, let me point you to a fuller explanation, including the possible rare exceptions to the above: http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=17200583

But for the overwhelming majority of users, for the overwhelming majority of the time, memory optimizers are junk.

Just remember: Empty RAM is wasted RAM. Any tool that promises to keep areas of your RAM empty is working *against* you!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2014-08-23),Fascist Nation (2014-08-23),RetiredGeek (2014-08-23),rmonroe36 (2014-08-24)

Thanks
    The "real" memory optimizer is more memory. RAM is relatively inexpensive; the best way to optimize your system memory is to max out your RAM.

My Inspiron 580 has 16GB, my Latitude E5420 has 8GB, my Latitude D800 has 2GB; that's as much as each of them support in hardware. (Dell says the 580 supports only 8GB; Intel says the chipset Dell uses for the 580 motherboard supports 16GB. I went with Intel, and the 16GB is indeed fully supported)
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2014-08-24)

Thanks
    RAM is relatively inexpensive
    What ?? I am getting $ticker $hock from just looking at 16 GB, I thought it was getting cheaper. Close to 2 bills!! Of course I remember paying 350 for 16 MB
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    The second best memory optimizer is to start uninstalling programs on an overtaxed system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the info- most appreciated