2 Star Lounger

We are losing the battle with computer games

This is not a post about violence and all the moral things but I noticed that when my grandkids download web games or install games from a CD from "reputable" game developers, they opened the door to a blizzard of pop-ups. I checked my security settings and found that my security software had been turned off. This includes Windows defender, Norton's, and Malwarebytes. I am not surprised at this because after all, security code is just another form of computer code. I do understand that not all Internet defenses are created equal but I've always wondered why the so-called "first-line" browser cleaners and cookie cleaners always seem to leave something behind; as if their advertising sponsors are not subjected to having their particular applications cleaned out.

I have noticed this with a lot of the "free" products that are promoted on YouTube and the like, and I do not consider this particularly offensive because this is how startups and small fry computer organizations get paid.There is no such thing as free when it comes to IT. The servers, salaries, electrical bills all have to be paid and it cannot be done if anything is free.

However, the difficulty is watching your kids or grandkids 24/7 to prevent all of the stuff from happening and that is impossible. The vendors know this and figure that by the time you get around to cleaning off their stuff, they have already collected or done what they intended to do.

The scary part is that these mainline web defense applications are supposed to prevent us from having our accounts hacked etc. How can we trust even encrypting our passwords on a 3rd party service when a simple computer game can bypass all this. The usual response is to "buy something else" and protect somebody else to shareholders.

I pay a lot more attention to my personal unit and do not download or access the same things that the grandkids do, but how can you tell a 8 year old or even a 11 year old what hacking can do to the family's financial accounts. They will say "yes" but they want to play the game.

Finally, you have to watch a lot of these online games because when they ask you for your credit card and you think that you are going to be charge that one simple fee for "game credits", and then you are lucky enough to see that your credit card is being accessed 10 more times you may get angry, but the company will say "we told you so in the terms of service". My simple solution is don't buy the service. I explain all this to my 10-year-old grandson and he began to understand when I said "they lied to us".

WS Lounge VIP
    Kids know how much things cost and that credit cards are the method of payment, but strangely, don't understand the bigger picture - oh to be 10 again!

cheers, Paul

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,218 Posts
    If you allow them only on standard user accounts, the damage they can do will be a lot more limited. Also, some security software includes the possibility of specifying a password, which prevents anyone that doesn't know the password from changing security settings to allow all this gaming software to install and run without your supervision.