Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for new AV and firewall

Hi: I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 Bit on 3 pc's.
    My Nis subscription will be expiring in a month.I read Symantec is discontinuing
    NAV and NIS and Norton 360.
    I would like to get a suite like I have now if possible.Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I know Avast free is very popular on this forum but I would also need a firewall.Any recmmendations
    if I go the freebie way? I prefer not to use Windows 7's FW. I thank you
    in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Why do you prefer to not use the Windows 7 firewall? It works well.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As a Norton 360 user I was concerned when I read your post regarding the discontinuation of Norton 360, but a Google shows they will continue with their 360 Multi-Device, so you can continue to use Symantec's products - http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...e/td-p/1159556
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-24 at 04:15.

Thanks
    You could have a look at the Comodo Free Internet Security Suite.
    Hawk

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: Joe when I was using win xp home sp3 I tried using the MS firewall and it let some thing in.So I am weary after that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Hawk: I used the Comodo free firewall on one of my Win XP sp3 machines and it ran good.I have to get more info on their AV thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo: Do you happen to know if NIS will be available too?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee15 View Post
    when I was using win xp home sp3 I tried using the MS firewall and it let some thing in.So I am weary after that.
    The Windows firewall is only meant to prevent data being sent to your PC by someone attempting to find a weakness in Windows and it does that very well. If Windows is fully patched there should be no holes for someone to attack. If you think something managed to get past the firewall it may not actually be a firewall issue. Do you have details of the "attack" you suffered?

cheers, Paul

p.s. Having a router that connects to your ISP adds another firewall to your network.
    Last edited by Paul T; 2014-08-25 at 02:14.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee15 View Post
    Hi Sudo: Do you happen to know if NIS will be available too?
    I probably read a similar article to you and from that I think you will have to change to Norton 360 Multi-Device.

Earlier this year when I renewed my Norton 360 from PC World (discounted to £40 from the usual £60), they just gave me a card with a new product key on it and then I saw that Argos were selling 360 for £24.99 and as an unused disk can be kept for up to the third year before use - decided to invest.

On reading your opening post I checked that disk is the for the Multi-Device, although when I check 360's Support for latest version - it just displays the Norton 360 disk cover without specifying if it's Gold or Premium, so will have to see what happens after 1st Sept.

As I didn't renew through the program, I had a number of e-mail reminders from Symantec that 360 was about to or had expired so I could get an auto update to the Multi-Device - but had previously assumed Multi-Device was just for up to 3 machines and not an upgraded version that will replace Symantec's other products.

You may also receive e-mails near the time.

As NIS is cheaper than 360, from a business prospective - it would make sense just having the one product and which to service with Definitions.

Having said all of that - have just found http://community.norton.com/t5/Produ...d/ba-p/1168925

Update - Just been on the phone to Norton UK Support and from what the CS op currently understands is that you will be able to renew your subscription for your current product, but I would assume this would only be available by doing it through the program, so I'll have to see what happens when I try to renew with the product key from the new disk.

She also confirmed there would be e-mail notifications to any change in your current product - so I guess for now it's a case of wait and see.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-25 at 06:18.

Thanks
    Hi: Joe when I was using win xp home sp3 I tried using the MS firewall and it let some thing in.So I am weary after that.
    The Windows 7 firewall is much better than that which was available in Windows XP, (which actually needed a 3rd party firewall).
    Unless you have some very specific need(s) in the use of a firewall, Windows 7's will be more than sufficient.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-08-25 at 10:52.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2014-08-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The Windows 7 firewall is much better than that which was available in Windows XP, (which actually needed a 3rd party firewall).
    Unless you have some very specific need(s) in the use of a firewall, Windows 7's will be more than sufficient.
    Agreed!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2014-08-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul:
    That was my guest pc for relatives and friends and happened awhile ago.Thank you for your info.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see on most online stores the price of NAV,NIS,and Norton 360 have dropped considerably.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint: Thanks for that info.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Security suites offered free of charge by ISPs are probably worthy of consideration. Norton, F-Secure.

My own ISP supplies ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, which gives me a Kaspersky anti-virus and ZoneAlarm's top firewall for $0. Not bad. Other components of the suite include

laptop locator
    online backup
    PC tune-up
    identity protection
    parental controls
    privacy toolbar
    anti-keylogger
    anti-spam

I leave those inactive. Who cares! They're not costing me anything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast