Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi iTobaman: Thanks. My ISPs free AV Firewall Suite is McAfee! I don't know if that's good or bad.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee15 View Post
    Hi iTobaman: Thanks. My ISPs free AV Firewall Suite is McAfee! I don't know if that's good or bad.
    Can't help you there. Sorry. Scuttlebutt is that McAfee has come a very long way in the last two years.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been "in computers" for 25 years and have built dozens for myself and friends. I've used every AV/malware/firewall/security program out there.

My current setup which has resulted in not a single issue in well over 10 years is Avast for anti-virus and Malwarebytes for Malware protection. Avast free version works perfectly. http://www.avast.com/index

Malwarebytes paid version allows it to run in the background at all times. Otherwise the free version makes you manually run it, which most people forget to do.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Windows built-in firewall is sufficient for most needs.

Most importantly is to first uninstall any other protection currently installed as they may interfere with other protection programs.

The problem with Norton/McAfee and any other "all in one" program is that they try to do everything but fail to anything really well. They tend to slow down your system as well. I have proven to myself year after year that standalone apps dedicated to specific functions perform much better than the all-in-ones.
    Last edited by drcamphill; 2014-08-28 at 07:17.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...fail to anything really well.
    Norton, Bitdefender and Kaspersky fail as anti-viruses?

They tend to slow down your system as well.
    (1) That was certainly true in the early days of suites. Now? Compared to avast Free Edition, Extreme Security gives no perceptible slowdowns on my desktop Win7-64 PC, and boot times are faster. (2) Avast itself is becoming a suite whose ever-expanding feature set includes Software Updater, a tune-up utility (its name escapes me), and in paid versions a safe-banking thingy, firewall, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What I meant to say is they fail to do everything really well. Parts of them work well but as a whole suite, in totality, they can't compare to products specific for their purpose. Extreme Security is the old, and I guess still Zone Alarm. Been there done that as well.

Avast can be a suite'ish program if you choose/allow it to be. I don't relative to my previous statements. I use it as AV only and that's it. I use other standalone programs for those other functions.

Every few years I run the gamut of programs and keep up with all the latest newsletters (WindowsSecrets) and stand behind my comments. All-in-ones, at this time, do not match standalone programs.

Your opinions may differ.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drcamphill View Post
    What I meant to say is they fail to do everything really well. Parts of them work well but as a whole suite, in totality, they can't compare to products specific for their purpose. Extreme Security is the old, and I guess still Zone Alarm. Been there done that as well.

Avast can be a suite'ish program if you choose/allow it to be. I don't relative to my previous statements. I use it as AV only and that's it. I use other standalone programs for those other functions.

Every few years I run the gamut of programs and keep up with all the latest newsletters (WindowsSecrets) and stand behind my comments. All-in-ones, at this time, do not match standalone programs.

Your opinions may differ.
    So. You download a bloatware package and choose the custom install, omitting bits you don't want. That differs from the description is post 15 how?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not just go with Microsoft Security Essentials ?
    You'll have Windows Firewall.
    I used it since it came out, until my bank gave me paid Kaspersky for free, but it was fine, even on some of the very dubious sites I visit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64 Bit on 3 pc's.
    My Nis subscription will be expiring in a month.I read Symantec is discontinuing
    NAV and NIS and Norton 360.
    I would like to get a suite like I have now if possible.Does anyone have any recommendations?
    I know Avast free is very popular on this forum but I would also need a firewall.Any recmmendations
    if I go the freebie way? I prefer not to use Windows 7's FW. I thank you
    in advance.
    Maybe this will help
    http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-...lware-attacks/

http://lifehacker.com/10-malware-rem...out-1614046598
    Last edited by johngaz; 2014-08-28 at 13:29.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to get a suite like I have now if possible.Does anyone have any recommendations?.
    Zone Alarm

http://www.zonealarm.com/

Gives you very effective and easy control of which of your programs are allowed to access the internet.

Jeff

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Avast Free and Windows Firewall along with Malwarebytes Pro

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see a lot of badly infected systems, most of them supposedly protected by paid for proprietary AV such as Norton or McAfee installed:

As these are mostly home computers, I usually recommend that they install Avast Free, along with Windows Firewall, and Malwarebytes free. After that, most customers rarely catch anything again. Nevertheless, I do recommend that some of Avast's recent overzealous tools be tamed - particularly 'other software updates' and that blasted browser 'protector' that changes your HomePage to Yahoo - since when was Yahoo safe?

As others have said, the latest versions of Windows firewall are now perfectly adequate for most users.

However, a third-party firewall can be very useful to limit the outbound connections of software that decides it wants to own your computer. I used to be a real big fan of Comodo but, for me, it's now become an unwieldy gargantuan. I've recently been trialing the current version of 'Online Armor Free (7.0.0.1866)' – it’s simple to use and quite impressive.
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...abae/15296/4/1

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just curious what is a good home page instead of Yahoo?

Thanks
    IMHO, a good home page is one that doesn't require you to accept any cookies or run any scripts or have any ads, along with a subject of interest to you. Not many of them out there these days. It would basically require that the site developer used only html and css to create the site/page. There's not many of those developers left.
    I guess the most important thing is a site of interest to you.
    My website is one of those, but I don't want it to look like I'm promoting it so I won't give the link here. Besides, it's probably a website that wouldn't have any interest to you, unless you play Railroad Tycoon.
    Hawk

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just curious what is a good home page instead of Yahoo?
    about:blank

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker13 View Post
    about:blank
    I do like that one.
    Hawk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast