Lounger
    Thanks

Question XP Scanner and Camera Wizard has changed its spots

Stay with me now...

Normally, when I connect a USB cable to my Fuji S602Z camera and turn it on, the Scanner and Camera Wizard autoplays, and it immediately recognizes the camera and asks what to do. I tell it to copy the camera files to a folder, name the folder, tell it to go, and the picture files are copied to it, taking on the name of their folder. Today, that process gets me the the S&C Wizard, but my usual procedure is not one of the choices.

If I open the S&C Wizard directly, it does not see my camera, although the camera does show up in Device Manager, saying that its driver is OK. The only device the Wizard sees is my Logitech webcam, and I can select stored pix from the webcam, name a folder to put them in, and copy them to that folder with the picture files bearing the same name as their folder, just as I have been doing with the Fuji.

The camera does appear as my E: drive, and I can copy the pix manually from there, but the pix have filenames like DSCF0001.jpg.

I'm a couple of hours into unsuccessfully troubleshooting this, so I hope one of all y'all can say, "Oh yeah, that happened to me; here's what ya gotta do."

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

lanshark (2014-08-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    @Kritzx:

Thanks... your link sounds like my problem, alright... but I don't have Real Player installed, and the Microsoft Fixit didn't fix it... back to the drawing board...

At this point, I am blaming Skype for all of this. Yesterday, before I had these problems, I updated my outmoded Skype software, after getting more or less continuous nudges to do so. I uninstalled Skype and ran Malwarebytes, but I have seen no change.

Thanks
    Have you tried a System Restore back to when your camera was being detected?
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Lounger
    Thanks
    @KritzX:

Yeah; that was sort of my last resort, but System Restore was unable to restore either of my last two restore points.

Some forums have suggested running SR from Safe Mode, with the caveat that, if it runs but I don't like the results, undoing that restore won't work. I'll do the Safe Mode thing later if I can't find anything better...

Thanks
    Hmm this is getting tougher. I've never faced any problems with XP's native photo scanner. In fact, it's the manufacturer's utilities that have always been problematic, never XP.

Anyways, I managed to find this:

http://www.veiled-chameleon.com/webl...es/000231.html

Hope this works.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Lounger
    Thanks
    @KritzX:

I think we're on the right track... I found those three registry entries here:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t...try-this/2.htm

Another poster there shows a set of eight that includes those three. I'm going to do the three first, and, if necessary, all eight. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks
    Hoping for the best...
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

Lounger
    Thanks
    Continuing the saga, I tried loading the three registry entries and saw no change, then the other five, none of which were in my registry, but again with no change. Then I began to think that the problem might be in AutoPlay or an ill-behaved piece of software that was preventing AutoPlay from running the way it always did.

I uninstalled the Faststone Image Viewer, installed since I last tried to upload from my camera, but that didn't help. I was still thinking about how AutoPlay works using handlers and event handlers and did more research to find https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoplay and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx and dug some more.

Then, searching for the question that AutoPlay was asking, on http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-xp/...indows-do.html I found a link to http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autoplayhandlers.htm and this info:

"When you right-click a CD drive or any removable drive and choose Properties, the AutoPlay tab lists all the AutoPlay Handlers for each Event. In some cases, an orphaned entry might appear there, as a result of incomplete uninstall of a software (such as Music match Jukebox, Nikon View etc). CleanHandlers helps you remove the invalid entries from the listing. In addition, this utility can find invalid AutoPlay entries and also remove them automatically."

I downloaded CleanHandlers from the site and ran the Scan, then ran this Report:

List of invalid AutoPlay handlers in the system.
    Generated by CleanHandlers v2.4 on 8/24/2014 5:28:50 PM
    Orphaned handlers
    -----------------
    Event : GenericVolumeArrival
    Handler Name : NTFS Mechanic

Event : ShowPicturesOnArrival
    Handler Name : VSOImageResizerAutoplay_741406

Event : ShowPicturesOnArrival
    Handler Name : NTFS Mechanic

Handlers with missing information
    ---------------------------------
    Handler Name : WSPlayerPlayDVDMovieOnArrival

***************** End of Report *****************

Figuring that orphaned and missing info handlers are bad, I ran Scan and Fix Invalid Entries, and that, my friends, was that. I plugged in the camera, turned it on, got my USB beep, and presto! My old AutoPlay window was back, complete with eleven glorious choices!

Now, of course, I'm sorry that I didn't delete those buggers one at a time, because I really don't know which of the four caused my problem. However, the point is that the Cleanhandlers program is a real gem; it even automatically backs up the entire AutoPlayHandlers registry key in case you want to undo the changes generated when you click the "Scan and Fix Invalid Entries" button!

Here's hoping that the time and effort I invested, with help from KritzX, tracking this down (while watching a baseball game) will be of use to others...

Last edited by lanshark; 2014-08-24 at 18:48.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lanshark For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2014-08-28)

Thanks
    Wow, that's great news! Glad you got it resolved.
    Fact of Life:

Terry Pratchett

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2014-08-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just reading this thread this morning. Glad this problem was resolved for you. Another page that may be of interest for future reference is this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Lounger
    Thanks
    @starvinmarvin:

Thanks for the tip, although it appears to be for W7 rather than XP...