Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to restrict Internet Explorer to access only our intranet?

We're in the process of replacing our old analog video surveillance system with a new system that uses digital cameras and a dedicated server. Our receptionist will have a second monitor that will be used solely for displaying the camera images via an internal web app. She presently uses Firefox, as do all of our employees, because I've disabled Internet Explorer on their PCs.

I feel it will avoid a lot of confusion for our receptionist if I run the camera web app on her second monitor using Internet Explorer so she doesn't have to contend with multiple Firefox sessions. However, I want to restrict IE so it can only access the internal web app and, hence, cannot be used to surf the web.

I tried changing setting in Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings. I enabled a fake proxy server IP address with bypass for local addresses. Unfortunately, that blocked both the Internet and the intranet, and also prevented Windows Update from checking for updates. We need to have updates automatically downloaded and installed, and our PCs need to access our server weekly to save a file and system image backup.

Has anyone succeeded in limiting IE access to their intranet while still having Windows and Security Essentials updates automatically downloaded and installed?

Thanks
    Came up with a couple of suggestions:

http://www.petri.com/block_internet_...with_ipsec.htm

http://www.symantec.com/connect/foru...nternet-access

Petri's site seems the most efficient.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, it appears that both approaches will totally disable Internet access. Also, Windows Update will probably not work. I want our receptionist to be able to get to the Internet using Firefox, but not IE. Maybe it can't be done.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You could write a proxy.pac file to tell IE how to get to various sites and deny everything except local and Windows Update. This site has some good gumph.
    I did one for my last company that had a really complex set of routes, so I can give you some tips if required.

cheers, Paul