New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Easy Transfer to new PC with SSD and dual drives

I am in the process of moving from an old win 7 x86 tpo a new win 7x64 that has 2 drives, Op system installed on c: and I made registry changes to have user profiles automatically created on D:. this is how I managed the old PC and it worked great. C: drive has 100GB free and D: is empty HOWEVER, when running WET to move the profile (300GB) it errors out " not enough free space" . Has this been covered in any previous threads or articles. Is there a way to set where WET writes to?

Tried WET 4 times with same results:
    step #1 I made the registry changes to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE-Microsoft-Windows NT-Current Version-ProfileList-ProfilesDirectory D:\Users ran WET -failed
    #2 afterfirst attempt I added the change to include Public. failed
    #3 I even tried creating a new user on the new PC before running WET failed

I know that there have been articles on how to migrate to a SSD, but any suggestion on moving profiles to a new PC that have SSD and dual drives are appreciated. I hate manually moving profiles and re-establishing outlook, etc.....but may have to resort to that method

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bobmcaap, I am still in the process of fine tuning my week-old Toshiba Qosmio laptop (the second one I have had - video card is dying in the first one after five years).
    Anyway, the first thing I did to the new one is replace the two HDDs that were in it with a Samsung 850Pro 128 gb SSD boot drive and a 7200 RPM 1 tb HGST HDD for data.
    I used the "Apricorn SATA Wire Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit" to copy the original boot drive over to the SSD. It is done while in Windows - no need to boot to the CD - and it works flawlessly - I have used it a number of times when installing a laptop hard drive.
    Hope this helps!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You, but I am not just upgrading the existing HD to a SSD , but moving from my old 32 bit pc to a new 64 bit pc, its a different PC, so would not be needing to copy the existing boot drive

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I believe your problem is that WET does not play well with redirected user profiles. I'm afraid you need to have a large enough C: to hold all your user data, migrate it, and then move it to D: and make the registry changes.

OR, copy everything manually from the OLD PC to an external drive and then load on the new PC where you want it.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bobmcaap (2014-08-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was afraid of that, and was trying to avoid the manual method and reconfiguring outlook, etc. Thanks