New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, Win8 Pro

Greetings,
    I'd like to upgrade my Win8 Pro 32 bit to 64 bit. I have 4 Gb of Ram.

I checked my Windows 8.1 Properties, and it says 'System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor'.

I have my original Windows 8 Pro disk box. In it, I have a disk for 32 bit and a disk for 64 bit.

I'd like to know if there is any way where I can upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit by just running the 64 bit disk, AND not lose any programs or settings.

I talked to Microsoft Help people and they said I will have to re-install all of my programs and data. But I would like get any other opinions or ways to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit without having to do a clean install.

Thanks...
    Gary

Thanks
    No, sorry. The architecture of a 32-bit OS is radically different from that of a 64-bit OS. Therefore, it'll not be possible to preserve your settings, programs and other modifications.

You'll just have to back up your files and settings by hand, probably by using Windows Easy Transfer.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Thanks
    I'd like to know if there is any way where I can upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit by just running the 64 bit disk, AND not lose any programs or settings.
    No, a clean install is needed. There is no upgrade option here.
    ...and there are no opinions about this, it is a fact.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goddi1 View Post
    Greetings,
    I'd like to upgrade my Win8 Pro 32 bit to 64 bit. I have 4 Gb of Ram.

I checked my Windows 8.1 Properties, and it says 'System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor'.

I have my original Windows 8 Pro disk box. In it, I have a disk for 32 bit and a disk for 64 bit.

I talked to Microsoft Help people and they said I will have to re-install all of my programs and data. But I would like get any other opinions or ways to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit without having to do a clean install.

Thanks...
    Gary
    Gary,

What MS told you is 100% correct, there are no other ways but, clean install. Nor is it a matter of opinions; it's just a matter of fact. Save all your data to replace it to the x64 after it is installed. And you will have to reload any programmes & software. So no, there is no way to not lose programmes & settings as & since it MUST be done as a clean install. The one correct part is going from x86 to x64 is, indeed an (intelligent) upgrade. However, there is only one way it can be done (period).

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg