Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Best Outlook backup software

Hello Everyone,
    I'm new here and this is my first post here.
    OK, we all know we can simply copy our PST files to some other location for safe keeping, but can we all chime in here as to the best Outlook backup software that is out there.
    I'm currently trying the free trial version of
    "Backup Outlook" by Wisco (http://www.backupoutlook.com/product.aspx?source=navbar),
    but what other backup programs is everyone else using for backing up their all important Outlook files?
    Thanks.
    I apologize in advance if this topic was covered before.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Thanks Bruce but not really what I was looking for.
    Looking for something that backs up ALL important Outlook files in addition to the all important PST file. Plus the link above appears only to apply to Outlook up to and including 2007. I suspect that the simple PST copying program above will probably work with Outlook beyond 2007.

There are a ton of other important Outlook files that need to be backed up other than a PST file and that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd say a few rather than a ton, but which version?

The Microsoft Personal Folders Backup Utility can be used with Outlook 2010/2013 with minor fixes: What to backup in Outlook 2013

(see Tools near the bottom for more comprehensive backup utilities)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-08-26 at 16:49.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    What files? Which version?
    Seriously?
    Guess you never had to restore a computer that had it's HD trashed.....
    To many files to to mention and there are a few other versions of Outlook since 2007. 2010 and/or 2013 comes to mind.

As many experienced Outlook users know, once you've worked with Outlook for a few years, there are A LOT of settings, via files, that are used to Customize your Outlook experience. The PST file is NOT the only file that is utilized in your customization of said program.

Not gonna list them all out here. Check out EVERYTHING that Backup Outlook backs up, enabling you to get back all your Outlook customization and data back should the poop hits the fan:

http://www.backupoutlook.com/?source=navbar

And this program appears to work with the latest version of Outlook available.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Pay $40 then, but you did ask what other people were using.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are concerned about disaster recovery look into imaging software instead of just backing up Outlook.

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    The best email backup is not software at all, but the built in Import/Export, and a fully functional backup regimen:

1. The first level of backup is to get the store folder off the main drive and disentangle it from the OS.
    Secure your Outlook mail client's store folder off the main drive and place it in a well named empty folder, preferably
    on another internal drive:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001112480.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolts...2d00_2013.aspx
    You should at a minimum have a decent degree of file system organization in order to do this.
    After setting this up properly and imaging the main OS drive, it will always put things back if an OS level image restore is needed.

2. The second level of backup is to copy the entire contents of the store folder by both hard copy and export function.
    Export account information and email with folder structure to an empty folder within easy reach on your drive,
    then simply burn to DVD/CD disk or copy to USB stick or external drive.
    The email data, including folder structure, can then be restored by simply importing it back should it be lost.

Exporting your Outlook file (folders, emails, contacts, etc)
    Export or back up messages, calendar, tasks, and contacts
    Where is Import & Export in Microsoft Outlook 2010 and 2013?
    Export Outlook items to an Outlook Data File (.pst)
    How to Backup Your Outlook 2013 Emails

Using the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool
    (Probably the easiest tool to use, but not actually necessary)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-08-27 at 08:23.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great Idea CLiNT,
    Thanks for that.
    Will try to incorporate that scheme, but it's a scheme my brother will have to use so I need to try to keep this as simple as possible for him.
    KISS is the motto for the day for him, but I will look into your suggestion for me.
    Thanks again.
    Much appreciated for the time and effort you put into that response.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use "Oops!Backup" for local restore of Outlook, plus I use imaging backup for entire drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Hello Everyone,
    for enterprise users, you can have a look at Pst Backup 2013 on codeplex. It can be managed by GPO, compress PST files during backup, personalize NTFS permissions on destination folder, disable backup when user is "off site", allows to shutdown computer once finish.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mblankenship View Post
    I use "Oops!Backup" for local restore of Outlook, plus I use imaging backup for entire drive.
    Thanks again Everyone for all the great input.
    Much Appreciated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I back up my Outlook 7 to an external seagate drive with Acronis True Home Image version 2009 program every Friday morning at 8 a.m.
    works fine

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems like you are concerned with backing up all features in Outlook that may have been changed by the user, along with the Outlook data. Most of those features are easily reset in a disaster recovery situation. Does the user utilize other applications that may have been customized and need backup?

You might consider a solution that will also preserve those settings, as well as the settings in the OS. I suggest drive imaging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast