New Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD 0x000000f4 endless reboot issue

My daughter accidentally left an MP3 player connected to a USB port when the system was shut down. On power-up the player was still plugged in. Now the system gets to the Windows 7 splash screen, displays the BSOD message 0x000000f4 and reboots. I've tried System repair, no joy. I can't get to the desktop to do the "Upgrade". I booted to a DOS prompt and tried re-writing the MBR, no joy again. Something appears to have corrupted the Windows loader file(s). The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit w/SP1. I also tried to do a System Restore to a date prior to the 25th, again no joy. Anybody have any ideas short of a complete reinstall of Win 7?

Thanks,
    Joe M.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You haven't given the make & model of the computer but resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery or whichever method is used for your computer model could resolve this.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BSOD usually means hardware error, but it could also be software corruption. If it's the latter then you need to restore a recent image backup and if you don't have one of those then it's a re-install.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    A 0xF4 BSOD is CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION: a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

As this happens during boot, I can't think of an easy way to work out what's causing the process/thread to be terminated.

I'd make a number of attempts to boot to Last Known Good, you might get lucky.

Thanks
    Option 1: Check Disk
    Run a check disk from the command prompt of your boot disk;
    System_Restore.jpg
    If your C: drive is:
    chkdsk C: /F or chkdsk C: /F /R

Option 2: Startup Repair
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...up-repair.html

Option 3: Scanow from bootable disk:
    Windows 7: sfc /scannow run from Installation Disk
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You haven't given the make & model of the computer but resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery or whichever method is used for your computer model could resolve this.
    It's a clone system with a Gigabyte M/B. Replacing the CMOS battery was the first thing I did, followed with unplugging and re-plugging all cables inside.

Thanks,
    Joe M.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Already tried that and unfortunately it didn't work.

Thanks,
    Joe M.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,

Thanks for responding. I had previously tried all of your suggestions prior to posting to this forum. I was hoping to find a solution to doing a non-destructive re-install by booting from the DVD, since I can't get to the desktop to do the "Upgrade" method described by Fred Langa.

Regards,
    Joe M.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If Safe Mode with Networking works, can you try downloading the chipset/video drivers ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15,

I'm unable to start in Safe Mode either, I still get the same BSOD error and it reboots and continues rebooting until I turn it off.

Thanks for the reply,
    Joe M.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hiren's Boot Disk has a number of tools that should be able to get you back on line so you can download critical drivers http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

I've never used this disk myself but scrolling through its tools, it would seem to have those that could get you back up and running without the need of a reinstall.

I don't know if it has its own burner tool as the Paragon Rescue Disk has - which you could also try http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html but for the Hiren's disk you could use ImgBurn http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-28 at 06:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just fixed this for a client and it was the result of his antivirus software trying to remove a nasty trojan; but, really deleting some critical windows files.
    What fixed it was booting to a Win 7 DVD, choosing Repair My Computer, and doing a System Restore from about two weeks earlier. A key item though, is to always choose one which says Windows Update or Critical Update as they are FAR more complete.
    If you need a Win 7 DVD, go here: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...l=1#post470600