5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS releases replacement for recalled patch

PATCH WATCH

MS releases replacement for recalled patch

By Susan Bradley

Perhaps there's a connection between the warm, sunny days in the Northwest and a slew of problematic August patches sent out by Microsoft. Several security and nonsecurity updates were recalled, as was the August update for Windows 8.1 Update. Are these delayed fixes putting us at risk?

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/ms-releases-replacement-for-recalled-patch/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2014-08-27 at 15:36.

Thanks
    I had one PC get hit by this buggy patch. Fortunately, I was able to roll my system back and running, again.

Something I noted was that in control panel fonts, along with the installed fonts, I had shortcuts to fonts located elsewhere on my system. That contrasted with my other PCs that did not have this situation. Those systems had no issues with the first patch nor, for that matter, with this one. I am, of course, going to wait for the all clear from Susan before installing this just released patch before trying to install on the PC in question.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On 14 Aug 2014 my automatic updates installed 2 patches - KB2982791 and KB2970228. Subsequently I had NO issues relating to the installation of these patches. Later, in your WS Issue of 28 August, I noted your advice about the replacement patch KB2993651 and to hold off installation of it. However, on closing down my computer that evening (28 August), there was a delay whilst an Update was being installed (No prior warning of this). Investigating what it was, I found it was KB2993651. I was therefore unable to 'hold' off installing it - it was a done deal.

MS in their advisory MS14-045 state that KB2982791 must be uninstalled prior to installing KB299651, but there was no opportunity of doing that. MS also stated that after installing the later Update, the earlier ones would still show listed under 'installed updates' - which they did (they got that bit right). No advice about uninstalling the earlier updates AFTER the later update fix was installed.

Taking a chance, I then proceeded to uninstall both KB2982791 and KB2970228. After restart, both those updates had as expected been removed from the list of installed updates. Although KB2993651 was still evident in the list, I carried out a check for updates on Windows Update site - there were none. I concluded that it was safe to uninstall the earlier corrupt updates AFTER the later fix had been applied.

I use Win7 Professional 64-bit. This message is for all those other users who, like me, had KB2993651 installed silently and then wondered about the uninstallation of the earlier corrupt updates, and were, like me, confused about Microsoft's advice in MS14-045 (which doesn't address this particular problem), and your WS advice to hold off installation (which was not possible, even though my Update Settings were set to 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them').

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like the new patch is no good either: http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...wn-bugs-249342

I have a theory. Maybe the government told Uncle Bill that they needed to put a kill switch in the OS and, in doing so, they implemented it with bugs so it triggered early.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lylejk For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2014-08-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all. My win7 32bit system would not save files in desired location.
    Uninstalled kb2982791 fixed the problem.
    I noticed that kb2993651 has been installed automatically.