iNET Interactive
    Thanks

No strings attached: Acquire ebooks without DRM

DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT

No strings attached: Acquire ebooks without DRM

By Lincoln Spector

On Amazon, the world's largest bookseller, sales of digital books outnumber those of hardbound and paperback copies. Most digital books are tied to restrictive digital rights management rules. But you can find DRM-free books if you look in the right places.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/digital-entertainment/no-strings-attached-acquire-ebooks-without-drm/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Add Tor to the list of Publishers who don't use DRM. All of their books since the middle of last year should be DRM free. Older books should be as well by now, but there may be a few left that haven't been changed yet.

Also, it's not the publishers themselves that need to be convinced about DRM. All the big ones are owned by much bigger media companies, and the DRM requirement comes from much higher up than the publisher.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    To be honest, I haven't really found a vendor that does not sell DRM free tecnical ebooks. These include not only those mentioned in the article, but also others, of which I have used:

Manning, Smashing Magazine, Pragmatic Programmers , Packt and Wrox.

Syncfusion offers a vast array of entry level books (the Succinctly series) that are not only DRM free, but actually cost nothing.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found a way to get books FREE or real CHEAP. I received a link to a site called Bookbub.com They have new books that are coimg out. There are different types of stories as well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - great article and I agree. I write, so I maintain a searchable digital library on my computer. Very handy for references, quotes etc. I load stuff I want to read elsewhere onto a cheap tablet. Amazon ebooks? Useless. They only work in their software and take away my ability to manage and search the files. Why would I buy a Kindle? It ties me to their business model, not my books. Every supplier that does this obliges yet another program. Anyone who has used proprietary software knows what happens to that data...

Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI: Amazon does sell DRM-free books, but apparently only if the author requests. I recently bought a collection of novellas from Amazon. The description of the collection said that the author specifically stated that he wanted it sold free of DRM. The notice wasn't prominent, but it wasn't hidden either. This is unusual for Amazon, but not impossible. Maybe they revoked Orwell's books because Orwell, being dead, hadn't specifically requested that they be distributed without DRM.
    Last edited by Anabaptiston; 2014-08-29 at 07:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I absolutely agree that DRM serves the distributor much more than the content creator, especially for relativity unknown authors. Have a look at Cory Doctorow's free ebook "Content" for some interesting discussions (http://manybooks.net/titles/doctorowother08content.html).

Anyone who enjoys ebooks really ought to have a look at the wonderful free program Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) , which manages ebook collections and can convert between formats and also manage many ereader devices.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cabele View Post
    Anyone who enjoys ebooks really ought to have a look at the wonderful free program Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) , which manages ebook collections and can convert between formats and also manage many ereader devices.
    +1
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Author self publishing

I won't buy any book I don't own. If e-book, that means no DRM and no proprietary format.

One avenue not covered but a trend I would like to point out and encourage is authors self publishing and asking their readers not to cheat (copy for others).

Paul Thurrott and Rafael Rivera's, "Windows 8 Secrets" now retitled, "Windows 8.1 Field Guide" and available for download from the authors as PDF, MOBI and EPUB for $2!

How does a $20-$40 book go for that price? Because authors get squat. And $2 a copy is more than they used to get. And you get a great book for $2. Authors are you paying attention.

It is also, book in progress. Updated for free. My kind of tech book and I hope the future.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2014-08-31)