Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win8, 8.1 create a system repair disc & image backup

I do not have Windows 8 or 8.1 myself but during the past year I have helped some of my friends set up their Win8 computer to their likings as well as one Windows 8.1. but I need some direction on the following items as I'm going to follow up on my 1 year schedule to ensure their computers are well maintained and protected

On Windows 8, will I be able to create a system repair disc as well as create a built in image onto an external drive like I can do on my Windows 7 computers?

On Windows 8.1, from what I've read there isn't a system repair disc to be created; is that true? How about the built in image back up onto an external drive?

I use Macrium Reflect Free on my Windows 7 computers but I still have created the built in create a system repair and do still include it's built in image backup and I'm thinking of doing the same for Widows 8 & 8.1 for those who are willing to allow me to do that on their computers
    --- On my Win7 computers, I did them when they were originally set up in pristine condition and have a monthly schedule to image them again
    --- I doubt my friends will agree to a monthly schedule but if I can convince to do that at least once a year at least it's better than nothing

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Cmptrgy,

Funny my Windows 8.1 Update one seems to do it.
    Recovery Drive.JPG
    Just enter: Recovery Drive
    into the search box.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-08-30)

Thanks
    Windows 8
    Create System Repair disk: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    Create system image : http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-cr...-in-windows-8/

Windows 8.1

Create USB recovery drive (CD/DVD recovery disk not supported) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...recovery-drive
    Create System image: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...m-image-backup

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-08-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Funny my Windows 8.1 Update one seems to do it.
    Just enter: Recovery Drive
    ... for a Drive (USB) but not Disc (CD/DVD).

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I just reviewed my Windows 8.1 for Dummies book and nothing like your suggestions is included

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Thanks everyone. I just reviewed my Windows 8.1 for Dummies book and nothing like your suggestions is included
    That's 'cos they aren't Dummies

Apologies - couldn't resist that one
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-30 at 15:42.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking of adding some couldn't resist comments also. But I won't be buying Dummies books anymore unless they can be proven to be better than competitive books. I'll take the time to go to Barnes & Nobles even though it's a few towns over from me than ordering on the internet. But hey, thanks to all of you I have some pretty good follow up recommendations; in fact, I was thinking of buying a Win 8.1 laptop and maybe I'll even do that now

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are a few How Tos you can familiarize yourself with http://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-co...windows-8.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-30 at 18:49.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-08-30)

Thanks
    I do not have Windows 8 or 8.1 myself but during the past year I have helped some of my friends set up their Win8 computer to their likings as well as one Windows 8.1. but I need some direction on the following items as I'm going to follow up on my 1 year schedule to ensure their computers are well maintained and protected

On Windows 8, will I be able to create a system repair disc as well as create a built in image onto an external drive like I can do on my Windows 7 computers?

On Windows 8.1, from what I've read there isn't a system repair disc to be created; is that true? How about the built in image back up onto an external drive?

I use Macrium Reflect Free on my Windows 7 computers but I still have created the built in create a system repair and do still include it's built in image backup and I'm thinking of doing the same for Widows 8 & 8.1 for those who are willing to allow me to do that on their computers
    --- On my Win7 computers, I did them when they were originally set up in pristine condition and have a monthly schedule to image them again
    --- I doubt my friends will agree to a monthly schedule but if I can convince to do that at least once a year at least it's better than nothing
    Allow me to correct you, please.

> Start or (ALL) Applications screen
    Type File; you won't be able to finish file history
    To the right on the Search Bar you will see File History and Save backup files with File History. Click on either.
    On the File History window that appears @ the bottom left corner you will see System Image Backup. Click on that & you get to dialogue window to recreate same. It offers to an external drive, to DVDs or a Network Location.

Ergo, the answer to, "On Windows 8, will I be able to create a system repair disc as well as create a built in image onto an external drive like I can do on my Windows 7 computers?", is yes.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    That's 'cos they aren't Dummies

Apologies - couldn't resist that one
    You mean we aren't dummies

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    I was thinking of adding some couldn't resist comments also. But I won't be buying Dummies books anymore unless they can be proven to be better than competitive books. I'll take the time to go to Barnes & Nobles even though it's a few towns over from me than ordering on the internet. But hey, thanks to all of you I have some pretty good follow up recommendations; in fact, I was thinking of buying a Win 8.1 laptop and maybe I'll even do that now
    Wise move. (Y)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You mean we aren't dummies

Cheers,
    Drew
    Of course

As for tutorials - I first bought a Win 7 for Seniors for Dummies and thought it was basic.

Have since bought a Win 7 tutorial by Steve Johnson - Brilliant Windows 7 and last year bought Mike Meyers' CompTIA A+ Certification (which I get around to reading now and again ) - but should think this year's edition would probably have more on Win 8.1.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-31 at 04:00.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Reading through this thread and wondering whether there is any need for a recovery drive in addition to my Macrium recovery drive, I took a look at Jerry’s link to the MS How-to article – which gave the impression the answer is no.

It says a USB recovery drive can help fix problems even when the PC won’t start, but so can an image, PROVIDED one has an image not suffering from the same problems – surely a reason for keeping more than just the latest image.

The big turn off for me was the following note at the end:

“Note
    If your PC came with Windows 8 and you upgraded it to Windows 8.1, your recovery drive will include Windows 8, and you’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after you refresh or reset your PC.”

Recalling that upgrading from win 8 to 8.1 was a major task, I prefer to avoid a repetition, especially as it requires a 16 GB flash drive, unless there is some advantage that I am overlooking in my ignorance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Reading through this thread and wondering whether there is any need for a recovery drive in addition to my Macrium recovery drive, I took a look at Jerry’s link to the MS How-to article – which gave the impression the answer is no.

It says a USB recovery drive can help fix problems even when the PC won’t start, but so can an image, PROVIDED one has an image not suffering from the same problems – surely a reason for keeping more than just the latest image.

The big turn off for me was the following note at the end:

“Note
    If your PC came with Windows 8 and you upgraded it to Windows 8.1, your recovery drive will include Windows 8, and you’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after you refresh or reset your PC.”

Recalling that upgrading from win 8 to 8.1 was a major task, I prefer to avoid a repetition, especially as it requires a 16 GB flash drive, unless there is some advantage that I am overlooking in my ignorance.
    Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the last part of what you have said & maybe, you would help me out with it a bit. Certainly I Upgraded my own machine to Windows 8.1 but, in addition to that, I have done the same to several machines for (my) clients. In none of these occasions was it a "major task", quite the opposite, as a matter of fact. And it, this not major task, is, definitely, not something that can be avoided... one must take 8.0 to 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    I would say no also, in fact if you have a pristine Macrium image of 8.1 that's working like a top (should test it), many folks get rid of the original recovery partition altogether.

Starting over from 8.0 and getting back to 8.1 would be a major pain for the computer, not so much for the user as long as we have the patience to wait for the big update downloads again and something does not go wrong and everything gets rolled back and we have to try again. Been there done that so I'll rely on a third party image any day of the week.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2014-09-02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast