Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop crashed

Thanks

Exclamation Laptop crashed

Last night my laptop crashed, we couldn't get it past the startup screen. After sever tries, we could get into the advanced options, and we went to refresh, and says there's a problem, and it can't refresh, or reset. We can't get it to go in command prompt either.

I just made a back up, and it said to insert it, we did, and said it didn't recognise the device.

So, what can we do? I'm running Win 8.1, fully up to date. Should I pull the HHD out and try to get stuff off? Or is there a chance at saving my laptop?
    Last edited by Kala; 2014-08-28 at 07:44. Reason: More info
    The Doctor: [In 1207 AD, answering the Tardis phone] Hello?
    Clara: [In 2013 AD, on her telephone] Ah, hello! I can’t find the internet.
    The Doctor: I'm sorry?
    Clara: It's gone, the internet. Can't find it anywhere. Where is it?
    The Doctor: The internet?
    Clara: Yes, the internet. Why don't I have the internet?
    The Doctor: It's 1207.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    See if you can get in to use Last Known Good Configuration http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-resto...n-windows-8-1/

If you are unable to get into regedit by the method described in the article but can get into Advanced Options, select Command Prompt and enter regedit
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-28 at 10:31.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    See if you can get in to use Last Known Good Configuration http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-resto...n-windows-8-1/
    No, we can't even get it to desktop. The Gateway symbol just sits there, and nothing happens. I may just have to pull the HDD and save what's there. We can't even get into advanced options.

Thanks
    I would pull the disk and attach it to another computer via an extra SATA port or a usb enclosure/dock/cable adapter. If the computer recognizes the disk, backup all vital data. The try a chkdsk /r. This could take a long time to run. Then run a malwarebytes scan on it to make sure you haven't picked up a nasty.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I would pull the disk and attach it to another computer via an extra SATA port or a usb enclosure/dock/cable adapter. If the computer recognizes the disk, backup all vital data. The try a chkdsk /r. This could take a long time to run. Then run a malwarebytes scan on it to make sure you haven't picked up a nasty.

Jerry
    We just ran malwarebytes last week, and there wasn't any malware detected. Are all laptop's SATA HDD?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Are all laptop's SATA HDD?
    Any laptop purchased new within the last 3 years should be SATA.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I added a bit to my last post but if you can longer get that far and hopefully you are using another computer to post - create a Paragon Rescue Disk - it has its own burner so you just need a DVD. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/

It's a free program but will e-mail you a product key to activate it.

You will need to change the Boot order by tapping F12 (usually) as you switch on and use the cursor keys to select ODD (disk player) - insert the disk and press enter and use its tools.

Another method that can get you into Safe Mode etc. on a laptop is to tap the spacebar at the rate of 1 per sec as you switch on.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-29 at 03:00.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2014-08-28)

Thanks
    We just ran malwarebytes last week, and there wasn't any malware detected
    That still leaves a week to pick something up. Unlikely if you have good browsing habits but it never hurts to check. I always tart with a malware scan and then go from there.

Jerry

Thanks
    I added a bit to my last post but if you can longer get that far and hopefully you are using another computer to post - create a Paragon Rescue Disk - it has its own burner so you just need a DVD. http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-free/

It's a free program but will e-mail you a product key to activate it.

You will need to change the Boot order by tapping F12 (usually) and use the cursor keys to select ODD (disk player) - insert the disk and press enter and use its tools.

Another method that can get you into Safe Mode etc. on a laptop is to tap the spacebar at the rate of 1 per sec as you switch on.
    That's going to be hard cos I'm using a tablet to post, that's how dead it is, nothing works.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a friend or relative you could pop round to and see if you can create the disk on their machine ?

Not sure if you could also do this at a library or Internet Café in your area.

How did you get on tapping the space bar as you switched on ?

Thanks
    Do you have a friend or relative you could pop round to and see if you can create the disk on their machine ?

Not sure if you could also do this at a library or Internet Café in your area.

How did you get on tapping the space bar as you switched on ?
    Can't do that. Tapping the space bar didn't work, nor did command prompt. It shows the hard drive is there...do I have chance at saving it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As you don't have access to another machine to create the repair tools that would probably get you back in, all I can suggest is for you to take it back to where you bought it if still under warranty or a reputable repair shop who will have these rescue disks.

Warranty repairs don't usually cover software problems so either venue will incur a charge.

Edit
    When you get it back up and running, another useful rescue disk is Kaspersky and you will need something like ImgBurn to create the bootable disk.

When you boot up with Kaspersky you will need to wire up so that it can negotiate an Internet connection when you choose that option, so that it can update itself and then you run a scan on Windows C:

This scan took a little over 9hrs on this Win 7 x64 laptop and when it finished I clicked on Shutdown and it initiated a chkdsk /f which sorted my dead problem.

It gives the system requirements as up to Win 8 so not sure if that covers 8.1 one as well, but it's worth creating as well as the Paragon disk should you have any other crashes.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk/

http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-29 at 06:08.

Thanks
    As you don't have access to another machine to create the repair tools that would probably get you back in, all I can suggest is for you to take it back to where you bought it if still under warranty or a reputable repair shop who will have these rescue disks.

Warranty repairs don't usually cover software problems so either venue will incur a charge.

Edit
    When you get it back up and running, another useful rescue disk is Kaspersky and you will need something like ImgBurn to create the bootable disk.

When you boot up with Kaspersky you will need to wire up so that it can negotiate an Internet connection when you choose that option, so that it can update itself and then you run a scan on Windows C:

This scan took a little over 9hrs on this Win 7 x64 laptop and when it finished I clicked on Shutdown and it initiated a chkdsk /f which sorted my dead problem.

It gives the system requirements as up to Win 8 so not sure if that covers 8.1 one as well, but it's worth creating as well as the Paragon disk should you have any other crashes.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk/

http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn
    We're going to keep trying before we take it anywhere. I don't think it's under warranty cos I've had it over a year. Really just think I should just pull the SATA drive, get what I want off it, and start looking for a new one.
    Last edited by Kala; 2014-09-02 at 07:42.

Thanks
    You can use a Linux Live CD to pull data off your HDD, without removing the drive. I use and recommend Knoppix. See if it's possible to create the disk on another PC.
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you intend to extract the info from the HDD and is it a new HDD or new computer you are referring to when you say you'll be looking for a new one ?

As I said earlier, warranties don't normally cover software and I wouldn't have thought the HDD would have failed just after about a year - but the shop where you bought it if local would be the best place to take it back to if you want to get back in with everything intact - you would probably also get an explanation as to why it crashed in the first place as it may not have been because of software, as it's not unknown for motherboards to fail in reasonably new laptops.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-29 at 09:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast