Thanks

Access 2007 column reports only 18 digits but prints 20 digits on labels

We use Access 2007 to produce shipping labels. The database processes the orders and creates UCC numbers for a label printing program. I have to export the processed orders (table) and email to corporate.

My problem is the UCC column in the table only shows 18 digits but the correct number (20 digits) prints on the label. I end up having to print the labels and then add the last two digits from each of the labels to the UCC column.

I don't even know where to start to find the place where I need to increase the number of digits that's reported in the UCC column.

The correct number of digits (20) prints on the label so the label program is getting the data from Access, the print program only prints the data it gets from the table.
    So how do I get the UCC column to show the same amount of digits that it gives the label printing program as the UCC numbers?

I'm a complete novice on databases, so be gentle.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if it's only the view of the columns, could only be too narrow to show all 20 numbers. An example in Windows Explorer, usually applies to other programs, move the mouse pointer/cursor to the top/name of the column then carefully move it to the right, usually will change to double arrow meaning it can be clicked and dragged to increase or decrease width. Can also just double-click at that point and it will automatically resize to include any data in the cells. The same can be done in Excel but there if the column is too narrow long numbers may show as a bunch of Xes.

Thanks
    Berton, that's not it. I've expanded the columns and it makes no difference. Somewhere there's a setting that restricts the population of the column to 18 digits. That's what i need to find to increase it to 20 digits (the same number that it tells the label printing program to print on the labels).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
    My problem is the UCC column in the table only shows 18 digits but the correct number (20 digits) prints on the label. I end up having to print the labels and then add the last two digits from each of the labels to the UCC column.

I don't even know where to start to find the place where I need to increase the number of digits that's reported in the UCC column.

The correct number of digits (20) prints on the label so the label program is getting the data from Access, the print program only prints the data it gets from the table.
    So how do I get the UCC column to show the same amount of digits that it gives the label printing program as the UCC numbers?
    Are you looking at the table (the raw data) or are you looking at a form which shows the data? I assume the UCC column is a numeric field, in Access 2003 it can be set to various values, e.g. integer, long integer or double. It might be best if you showed us a screenshot of typical values from what your seeing in the database, or attached a database with a small amount of data but with the processing in place. It would help us to see what might be going on. It wouldn't be the first time experts have been misled by a less than accurate description of the problem and you do say that you're a complete novice!!

Thanks
    CaptureUCC.JPG
    only 18 digits displayed in the UCC128 column but the label program prints 20 on the label.
    my problem is that I have to email the UCC table and the numbers don't match what is on the labels.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it's the default field setting for that column that needs changing.
    http://office.microsoft.com/client/h...8-2c449f4b69b1

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think the default value for that field would have any effect here. We really need to know whether the grid you displayed is from a table or a query. If it is from a table then there is something seriously wrong, but if it is from a query, the query may be truncating the field to 18 characters. Then we need to see the SQL statement for the query.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Use text column

Can you change the field to text instead of a number?

Thanks
    The UCC (table) numbers are generated from an EDI table that resides on different server that's in ATL. I don't have access or authority to that data.

I've been promised (for the third time) that "we'll get that fixed - next week for sure". I think it was a polite way to tell me to shut up.

So, thanks to everybody that has tried to help me solve this pain in the butt problem but, I don't believe there's anything I can do from this end.

Wiley