New Lounger
    Thanks

HTML Help (Office 2000 Special Ed SR1)

Does anyone have any ideas as to why a context sensitive help file will not display in it's own window? I have tried the MSKB articles Q271390 "Custom Help File Displayed in Access Help Window" this results in nothing happening in the call to HtmlHelp (return value=0, no window opened and no errors, I also verified that the correct help file name and context Id is being called), and Q242433 "How to create context sensitive HTML Help Files", which does nothing as well.

Using standard context sensitive calls, I get a help screen in an Access window which does not display my index, but does include al of the Access help keys. I'm using a compiled help file from HTML Help Workshop 1.2 that is part of the Office 2000 Developer tools v 1.5.

I really would like to use HTML help as all of the documentation for this large database is in Word which is easily converted to HTML.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Warren

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HTML Help (Office 2000 Special Ed SR1)

HTML help is often a bit buggy. Have you considered making your help file as the older 'win95' style? That tends to be more stable.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've never created standard "hlp" files, not sure how to. But Ill look into it.

Thanks

W

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's very similar to HTML help file construction. Having said that I have just looked at my Office 2000 developer CD and the old style help wizard doesn't seem to be included there. That makes it rather more difficult.

If you are seriously going to create help systems for your apps then it is worth looking at third party help support such as Robohelp and DocToHelp. They are expensive but make it sooooo much easier.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.helpware.net/>http://www.helpware.net/</A> for some less expensive alternatives.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte, your link to helpware.net put me on to why things were not working. They have a FAQ section with a definition for the alias and map files showing the context labels as IDH_somename, where the M$ KB article Q242433 uses a single digit number instead of the IDH_ prefix. After changing all of my map and alias references to the IDH_ value, it all worked very well.

Well almost. Upon further testing, it looks like there is a message generated by Office 2000 requiring a response to a warning message about possible virus infections in untrusted sources. When opening the help as context help, the message does not display. A toolbar link will display the help after replying to the message, but this does not provide context sensitive help. Sometimes after opening the help from the toolbar, the context help will work, sometimes not. You guys are correct, HTML help is very flakey!!

Thanks to everyone for your help and ideas.

Warren

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Warren: Check out the note I posted with respect to a Help File program called HelpScribble. I'm just getting me feet wet with it and can only suggest that it's easier and cheaper than what's out on the market at the moment.
    Cheers,
    Andy