New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010: Using {FILENAME} inside a hyperlink

I have been searching and searching for an answer but cannot seem to find something similar to my situation. I am trying to add a couple of relative hyperlinks that contain the same name as the current file but have different extensions. Every time I try to do this it will work but after closing and opening the document one of the links change to absolute.

example-
    { HYPERLINK "FolderA/{ FILENAME }.mp3" }
    { HYPERLINK "FolderB/{ FILENAME }.xlsx" }

after saving, closing and reopening the document it becomes

{ HYPERLINK "FolderA/filename.mp3" }
    { HYPERLINK "FolderB/{ FILENAME }.xlsx" }

It appears that { FILENAME } can only be saved in one spot (and thus only the newest one stays) but I cannot find any documentation supporting this. Any help with this or suggestions for a different approach would be very helpful.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    A FILENAME field can be used in a hyperlink field, but you can't use it the way you're doing. That's because a FILENAME field returns the file's name and extension. So, you'd never get the equivalent of 'HYPERLINK "FolderA/filename.mp3' but 'HYPERLINK "FolderA/filename.docx.mp3'.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It looks like you either need to use a macro to populate the hyperlink paths or turn on the Windows setting to 'Hide file extensions for known file types'

I would recommend the macro option.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up using an AutoOpen() macro that finds the location for the hyperlink and adds it using ActiveDocument.Path for the relative part and .Variables("FileName").Value = Left(.Name, InStrRev(.Name, ".") - 1) for the filename part.