Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbars in Windows

Every now and then the toolbars decide to go up the side, to the top or the other side. Once they are there, what is the secret for getting them back down to the bottom? We used to be able to drag them easily. Any quick tricks for this???

Thanks

Re: Toolbars in Windows

Are you talking about the Taskbar?
    It should just drag and drop OK - you just need to make sure you left_click_hold on an unpopulated bit.

Do you suspect a problem causing them to move on their own?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, sorry not to be more specific. It just does not drag. I hold the left button down, and drag the embossed line or an empty area etc. and it just is so stubborn. Finally it will move and you don't know what you did to get it to move. I had hoped there was a trick to it like holding the CTRL key down or whatever. Thank you for your answer.

Thanks

The vertical embossed line is probably NOT what you want! These are for moving/positioning the separate toolbars along the length of the Taskbar.
    I have my Quick Launch Toolbar on the right - just to the left of the System Tray (Clock, Volume control etc.) If I try and grab any blank area between the two - no go. Maybe you are trying to grab in a 'bad' zone.

One other thing that may be causing you a problem is if you happen to have the darkest grey selected as your desktop colour. When I 'grab' my Taskbar, I can move the mouse cursor around the screen and get a dark grey outline showing its new position, which just happens to be invisible on a dark grey desktop!

I've just had a play and discovered the following. I've got quite a cluttered taskbar at the moment - 12 app icons plus Quick Launch. I find that I can tell if I have left click on a 'good' space between the icons if I left_click and hold - after about 1 second I get a dotted-line effect around the entire taskbar. This seems a good indication you've struck gold!

Edited to add:
    That last trick appears only to apply if you do not have 'Show windows contents when dragging' selected in your Display Settings > Effects setup.

Lounger
    Thanks

Now that sounds like a wonderful idea. I will try that and get back to you. We are just an impatient lot I guess.
    OK I GOT IT!!!! Here is what I did--I left-clicked in between the embossed line and the first icon until I saw a 4-headed arrow--I dragged the arrow onto the desktop until I got the dragging arrow with the dotted outline of the page attached. Once I took that to where I wanted the taskbar, I let go. Voila it worked. Thank You for directing me toward a solution.