Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows updates

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows updates

Forum Members. Running W 7 64 bit. Use computer mostly for e mail, music Newspapers,Sports and simple fun stuff not any business things do not run office or have it installed have worked around it with Power Point viewer and word Excel etc.. When Windows Update presents updates for office I don't download them based on the premise that the less things downloaded the better and faster the computer runs. Is that a fallacy? Am I exposing myself to security risks by doing this? There has been all this discussion about making Image Backups and I am getting ready to do one so thought I would ask thanks.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's the Power Point Viewer that attracts the Office updates.

This laptop came with the 60 day Office trial which I uninstalled as bloat but kept the Viewer and I get the Office updates as I have MS updates enabled as I use Works which has had updates in the past - but guess MS has forgotten about Works now.

I think if you have something installed or even related, you should allow the security updates and then run Disk Cleanup as an admin which will clean out the previous now obsolete updates and if they are substantial, do a defrag.

I run Disk Cleanup after every month's updates and it found ~600MB to clean after this month's updates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-28)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my Desk top and has never had Office and it didn't have Power Point or Excel viewer I had to put those in what else could be drawing Office Up dates or is it really just the Power point viewer? I run Defrag and Disk Clean up on a daily basis. But to get back to the point am I putting myself in a security situation by not downloading Office Updates I do the ones for Power point and Excel?
    Phil.

Thanks
    But to get back to the point am I putting myself in a security situation by not downloading Office Updates I do the ones for Power point and Excel?
    Yes it's possible, I would just update it and not worry about it.
    If you very seldom use these viewers you might reconsider their presence on your machine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint so your are advising that I do install the office updates is that correct. The viewers I use for e mails I get and such. I am running MBAM Pro and Emsisoft and don't venture into too many strange places. If I dump the viewers what would you recommend that I use in there places I end up using them sometimes? Thanks for your time and expertize.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint one more question should I also install the office updates for 32 bit office also? Thanks.
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never really known what the Power Point Viewer is used for but kept it in case Works needed it, but I've accepted all of the Office updates because of it and keep things trimmed by running Disk Cleanup as an admin and a defrag once a month.

I also occasionally use the free WinMend Registry Defrag - not sure how beneficial it is, if any - but it's another tool.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo I sure couldn't tell you but I do know that I do get some things where it gets used although I can not be specific about it. Thank you about the update answer how about the 32 bit ones?
    Phil.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know why you are getting updates for a 32 bit system but I've come across others who have accepted 32 bit WUs when using 64 bit, just for Windows returning they weren't required.

I'll leave that for Clint to come back on that one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo thanks for your reply.It struck me as kind of weird also. I am glad at least you have heard of it happening to other folks before I don't have any contact such as that to draw experience from that's why I use this Forum and am very happy to be able to avail myself of all the folks that have so much knowledge. I guess I will also wait for Clint's advice or someone else who has some info in regards to it thanks.
    Phil.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the Windows Updates are categorized Important or Recommended I would do them. I suspect the Windows Updates you are wondering about will not have a negative impact on your computer performance. I have serviced some computers in which certain Windows Updates were not allowed but to make a long story short eventually a few years later had to be addressed. The recommendation to run Disk Cleanup is an excellent one especially since you can include the Clean up system files feature. I believe Windows 7 automatically schedules Disk Cleanup.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for you input. I have already installed all the ones for 64 bit I am just waiting for more info on 32 bit. I Defrag every day and also run Disk Clean up at the same time. I have Defrag set to run on a schedule. Thanks again for your advice.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    KritzX Good to hear from you Kid. I trust your opinion so consider it done. Now I can go ahead and make my System Image Back up CD. Thanks very much.
    Phil.

Thanks
    You're very welcome Phil. Do let us know how it goes...
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

22. The Following User Says Thank You to KritzX For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-29)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast