New Lounger
    Thanks

Need driver for Dell Studio 540 for Windows 8.1 Realtek GBE NIC

The Dell Studio does not appear to have drivers for Win 8/8.1 - the system had Vista 32 bit installed, I did an upgrade install of Windows 8, installed all Windows updates, downloaded the 8.1 update from the Windows store and installed that. At this point, the NIC no longer works - there is a code 10 on the properties of it in device Manager. I have searched on the Internet for updated drivers and the latest I have found indicating it is for 8/8.1 is 8.18.621.2013 - it installs okay, but still comes up with the yellow ! in Device Manager. I also found a level 7.080.218.2014 where the description indicated it was for several Windows versions, including 8/8.1 but when attempting to install it, it presents a FindFile error on the install and fails to complete. In looking at the files, I see a folder for Win7, but nothing for Win8, so I suspect it is not for Windows 8/8.1. I have used DriverToolkit and also DriverScope and neither one gives me a later driver than what I already have. I currently have a WiFi USB Dongle installed and that works just fine for my network activity, but I would like to get back to a hard wired interface. I am about to the point of getting an add-in low profile NIC card with Windows 8 support and forget about the built-in Realtek interface.

Any suggestions on how to determine what is causing the code 10 and preventing the driver from loading and initializing? I can boot to a UBCD4Win DVD and the network works just fine, so the hardware is still working.

Thanks
    You could try the fixit and/or the manual fixes given here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There are Windows 8.1 drivers at Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series Drivers.

Joe