Thread: Bank security

Thanks

Bank security

I knew that my previous thread shouldn't have had two questions

So I'll repeat that question on a new thread, which is that banks now recommend Trusteer Rapport. I've heard that it causes problems, but that was a while ago. What do people think of it?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just Googled problems with trusteer rapport and it produced a number of links - including this one from about a year ago http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...nking-security so you may want to check those out yourself.

Thanks
    It would appear that the jury's still out on Trusteer. I did Google but most of the articles were a year or more old - an age in IT, so I was wondering if anyone could confirm it's still problematic, or that it's now very good.

Thanks
    I've never had any problems running it. As well as banking, you can use it for your shopping sites if you wish. It auto updates, so, until you need it, you never see it and even when its working, you only see the icon in the Address Bar change to green from grey. To protect an additional site, just click on the Address Bar icon and on "add this site to protected list".
    I have no doubt that a few still have problems with it, but the only way to find out if one of them is you is to install it.

Thanks
    This series of discussions doesn't look too god for this ap. It would seem most of the discussion of this ap is not time relevant, so the fact that most posts were made in 2012 shouldn't matter.

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=80688
    Hawk

Thanks
    Looks like I won't be installing it anytime soon. Just looked at my bank's description of the S/W:

Trusteer Rapport protects your internet connection by creating a tunnel for safe communication with your online bank. It takes a unique approach that adds real value on top of your current security software. When you connect to the Online Bank, Rapport does four main things in the background to make it extremely difficult for criminals to target you:

Rapport verifies that you are really connected to the bank's genuine website.
    Once verification is complete, Rapport locks down communication between your computer and the bank's website.
    Rapport protects your computer and internet connection by creating safe communication with your bank, preventing use of malware.
    Trusteer Rapport works along side with your current security software.
    Nothing in this list is something I think I need to make my banking more secure. Another bank's list of benefits seems even more improbable. E.g one thing listed is:
    Ahead of the game – Rapport doesn’t rely on constant updates to stop fraudsters
    I don't even know what this means...

Another item is:
    Protect your passwords – helps stop fraudsters accessing on your online banking details
    Hmmm, how? Doesn't https do this, or is it easily cracked?

Thanks
    Personally I would avoid Trusteer Rapport like the plague. It does all sorts of dubious low-level things to Windows that nobody outside the firm knows about, meaning that every time you have a problem (or more usually a slow-down) you need to uninstall it to see whether or not it is culpable. Remember the days five and more years ago when Norton AV used to cripple your machine? This seems to have similar effects with less-powerful CPUs.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had nearly a dozen experiences where un-installing Trusteer Rapport has fixed connection problems for family, friends and colleagues. In particular it prevents the VPN client we use for homeworkers (so we now advise against installing it). My bank often suggests that I install it but I won't.