Thanks

XP & win7 to SSD advice?

I have dual-boot XP & Win7 and want to upgrade to SSD BUT still want my 2 sata drives to run.

I plan to Backup the win 7 partition image and install it on the SSD, run the win7 repair disc to get it to boot properly but I have a need to keep my XP pro OS partition because I need it at times.

What advice should help, maybe a boot manager or what ??

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Clone W7 to the SDD with Drive Clone (free). No doubt some would advise the use of Macrium, but it didn't work for me. The completed clone wouldn't boot. Drive Clone is slower, but it works.

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

Don't put XP on an SSD as it doesn't support the TRIM command which is essential for ensuring that the SSD wont become clogged up with unusable data blocks and slowly grind to a halt. Clone XP on onto its own SATA drive and set up dual booting. You can run as many drives, SATA or SSD as you have headers for on the MOBO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

Thanks
    Thanks;
    Do you/the forum have a good boot manager?

Never mind on the BM as I think i'll go with GAG.

Thanks again Calimanco.
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2014-08-30 at 14:45.