Lounger
    Thanks

Reboot to uninstall?

Hello all,

I have heard and have seen references made to term " Rebooted to uninstall newly installed program."
    Does this refer to the fact that the program was installed in a VM environment or, it refers to the fact that program was initially installed via sandboxing it?
    And, is XP capable of doing this method of uninstall?

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's because changes to the registry can't be made while it's in use - pretty much like you normally have to reboot for Windows Updates to complete their install.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. You explained the mechanism at work and that is great however, as I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to "Confusers", am I correct to assume that the program was initially installed within sandbox (as in sandboxie or sandbox that is included with Comodo security) or, VM and later, installed program was removed via reboot? Right?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not familiar with sandboxing or have needed to create a virtual environment but when you install a program normally, it writes it into the registry and its uninstall may or not require a reboot for the reason I've previously said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2014-09-04)

jwoods
    A reboot is required after uninstalling usually because there are files (such as .DLL files) that were installed that cannot be removed while the operating system is running.

This article gives a good "technical" explanation...starting at "The process explained" section.

http://superuser.com/questions/78767...utdown-okay-to
    Last edited by jwoods; 2014-09-04 at 16:54.