Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to repair home network

I have XP Home on one machine, XP Pro on the other. (Yes, I know they're outdated etc etc, but I simply can't afford to buy a new operating system nor modern computers on which to run it/them.)

It has been working well, but the system now tells me that "Upstairs (one of the machines) is not accessible. You might not have permission etc etc ..... The network path was not found."

The same message is displayed when I try to connect to this one ("Downstairs") from the other.

I have gone through the Network Setup Wizard procedure again on both machines, but that has made no difference.

There's something odd about both machines. Some months ago, one of them acquired a second Network Connections icon in Control Panel. Placing the mouse over one of them displayed "Connects to other computers, networks, and the Internet. ", mouse over the other said "Configures network software."

I have no idea which one was the first icon.

The same anomaly has now happened on the other computer. The displayed information with the mouseover is the same as on the other machine, i.e. the two icon's displays are different.

The Network Connections icons Downstairs open up to produce identical windows which display the LAN. Clicking on the second Network Connections doesn't open up a second window, it seems to use the same one.

The Network Connections icons on the Upstairs computer both open to display two icons, the LAN and the Internet.

The LAN works correctly to connect Downstairs to the router and thence to the Internet.

The LAN between Downstairs and the router is through a pair of adapters/modems which exchange data over the a.c. supply.

Upstairs is connected directly to the router with a (Ethernet) cable. It connects ok to the Internet too.

I would like to know, of course, how to get the two machines talking to each other again, and why/how they both exhibit two Network Connections icons.

Addendum:
    An upgrade of AVG had set its firewall to disable file and printer sharing.
    But this leaves the, obviously separate, problem of two Network Connections icons in Control Panel.

The two machines no longer talk to each other

AVG's firewall still has file and printer sharing enabled

I think I might reinstall Windows on the upstairs machine.
    Last edited by Syncopator; 2014-09-01 at 11:48.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to say perhaps it is time to do a clean install on both PCs.

Since both PCs connect the the Internet through Ethernet OK not a hardware issue. Have to assume it is either a connection issue involving improper settings (are they the same network?; Both Win XP Pro? Home can only be a client, Pro or MCE must act as the host in a network) between the two or something is blocking the connection (firewall).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rk-connections

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/netw...indows-xp-tool

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...&v4h=winxptab1
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2014-09-04 at 13:54.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The LAN is now working correctly, see the addendum to my first post.

I still have the problem of two identical Network Connections icons, both of which have the LAN icon inside, in the Control Panel of the Downstairs computer.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.