2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

General Updating questions...

Hi Folks,
    A general question to all the great folks who visit here.
    I have:
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)on a HP Pavilion dv7 Ntebook PC.

I pride myself on keeping my laptop up to date with MSWin updates, anti virus, malware and up to date versions on all my programs and so far, so good. The only time I have had problems, it is because of "the nut behind the wheel" and tell others that they (like myself) are the weakest link in protecting their machines. By opening unknown/strange email attachments, problematic downloads for new software or visiting "bad" websites to look for "free" stuff etc. and of course not keeping an up to date machine.
    But....saying that....
    I have never gone to HP to check for updates to my BIOS,HP drivers etc. Believing that if it ain't broke don't mess with it. Am I wrong and closing all the doors in front but leaving the backdoor and windows open? My PC was purchased 4-5 years ago and I haven't had any problems except hardware, like battery and optical drive, fan which I fixed (by replacements). I believe I'm lucky, but in the back of my mind, I wonder about the installed hardware drivers and BIOS etc. Ladies and gents, what do you think?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Believing that if it ain't broke don't mess with it. Am I wrong and closing all the doors in front but leaving the backdoor and windows open? My PC was purchased 4-5 years ago and I haven't had any problems except hardware, like battery and optical drive, fan which I fixed (by replacements). I believe I'm lucky, but in the back of my mind, I wonder about the installed hardware drivers and BIOS etc.
    Actually, I'm like you, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I feel the only reason to update a BIOS is if some feature was available but wasn't turned on but the only way to know that is to visit the motherboards site, or the computer maker's site, and see what is new. Updating firmware on devices can be useful, my Router Wi-Fi feature would quit about once a week, turn it off then on worked, but the maker did have a firmware update that fixed the problem even though that specific issue wasn't listed.

Software is a different thing, seems most updates now-a-days is for security issues found. It's interesting that some folks assume everyone has the same computer but within a week of purchase there will be differences between 2 to hundreds of the same make and model computers even though they started out identical.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton, Going to each mfg for firmware updates for "harddrives, motherbords, video cards" might make those devices "better". Or I might open a can of worms.........

Thanks
    Like rubinontheroad, my main PC is also about 5 years old. I've just been testing DUMO (Drivers Update Monitor) (which I like for its simplicity and have added to my portable toolkit) and it shows several mainboard drivers have updates available. As a result I'm interested in replies to this thread too. Perhaps something for Fred Langa to add an opinion?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rick, I too used DUMO and got about 20 updates from JMicron IDT, Intell Broadcom and Synaptics. Now I am in a dilemma, update when all is working fine or ignore 'cause all is working fine. Hopefully other folks will have suggestions, thanks again...Stan

Thanks
    Image before you rumage

Or mayb image b4u scrimage

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wavy, what is this crap?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I occasionally install the free version of Slimdrivers to check for any driver updates and that creates a restore point before any update installation should you wish to download it.

Toshiba have Toshiba Tempro which will give you message alerts when there is a BIOS update or any for any of the other "caretaker" bits they have installed, when you have Tempro enabled.

There's usually a reason why driver manufacturers release updates which may be for security, but I believe in keeping my drivers up to date and have ever only had one problem with an AMD video driver update on another laptop and had to roll that back - but I've seen that happen to others with other makes of video cards/chips.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15, I think I'll give Slimdrivers Free a try and take it one step at a time. With restore points and roll back options, I'll try to get up to date. Thanks all for help and encouragement

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While there are a number of links for Slimdrivers I use http://www.driverupdate.net/ and there is only one check box to look out for and that is for Install MyPCBackup to uncheck.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks, will watch out for it, maybe today will get on it, one step at a time......

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubinontheroad View Post
    Wavy, what is this crap?
    I believe he is trying to remind you to backup your system if you decide to start updating drivers.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies Wavy, I did not understand your terminology and thank you JoeP517 for setting me straight. I should have known that here at Windows Secret Forums that stuff like that doesn't happen, again sorry to Wavy.

Thanks
    rubinontheroad

No offense taken I tend towards the obtuse on occasion. and Joe thanks for the correct clarification.
    Some times I'm too clever for my own good.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.