Lounger
    Thanks

Fatal Error message and no System Restore ability

This is a rather convoluted mess - I'll try to make this is clear as I can! Your patience is greatly appreciated.

I have had installed, for many years, on my Toshiba laptop a PopCap game called Bookworm Deluxe. A few days ago
    I noticed a small box that would appear briefly just before the game loaded that said "Fatal Error - unable to prepare game executable". The game would load, however and I didn't really think to much about it. Well, now when I try to load the game I get the "Fatal Error" box appearing and that's it - no more game appears.

I have tried the following -

1. I tried uninstalling the program and attempted to re-install using the Bookworm disc I had purchased previously.
    2. When disc loaded up, there was nothing that would allow me to install (like a "run" or "execute" file) or run the install program - it asked me if I wanted to play the game! I tried saying "yes", but that would bring me back to the "Fatal Error" box.
    3. I thought that perhaps doing a System Restore might solve the problem and when I attempted to roll back my computer to an earlier time (prior to having these problems), I get a message that says "System Restore did not complete successfully. System could not access a file" and it goes on to say further that it might be because of my anti-virus program running (I have MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Pro installed) and to temporarily disable and try again and further gives a unspecified error message of 0x80070005.
    4. I have tried running the system restore with both MS Security Essentials and MWB Pro disabled - but still I get the same message that System Restore did not complete successfully.
    5. I checked to see if I could manually set a restore point, and I am able to do that.

Here's where it gets really strange.....
    Since I was unable to reload the Bookworm disc, I checked in my Recycle Bin and it was still there, so I restored it from there. Still couldn't play it and got the same "Fatal Error" message. However, if I go into Windows Explorer, C disc, Program Files, PopCap games, Bookworm and get to the point where I can see all the files I find 2 files that say "game". One is dated 7/18/13 and the other 8/28/14 - the day all my problems began. If I click on the 7/18/13 "game" folder - it loads up the game and I am able to play it!!!

I am totally at a loss here - can't figure out what to do to solve this. While I'd like to be able to continue to play this game (I admit that I'm hooked on it!), I'm more concerned about the fact that my computer is unable to perform the System Restore function and feel like there are potentially more serious problems at work here.

Any suggestions of things to try, or explanations for what it is going on here? I hope I've explained this clearly and would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In restore how much space is allocated when you click on Configure ?

Can you boot up by tapping F8 as you switch on and until you get a number of options then select Safe Mode - close the Help window after it has loaded then try either the restore point or create a restore point.

This is a safer way of doing it should it be because of an AV program, but I've never known MSE interfere with anything.

Infections can stop services to prevent you from using a restore point but Event Viewer should have something on both the Fatal error and the failed restore but first check Reliability history.

You can do this by going Start - type reliability then press enter and after it has generated its report there should be red Xs for the days you had the fatal error and there may be something for the restore points - click on any red Xs then on the blue tech details link and let us know what they say.

For Event Viewer go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

Wait for it to read the Logs and then you will be presented with an upper window listing Critical, Error, Warning etc. in the last hour etc.

If there are any Critical click on Critical and if there are more than one then click on View All Instances of This Event in the right pane.

If they are all the same Event ID No. click on one and details will appear in the window below that.

Can you post what that says along with the Event ID No.

Use the Back button and do the same for Error.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-08-31 at 17:11.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15 - thank you for responding. To answer your questions -

In Restore I have it set to 14% (63.42gb) and it says the current usage is 14.19gb

I am able to create restore points normally - no issue doing that - don't need to go into Safe Mode to do so. The issue is in actually rolling back the system using the System Restore function. That is what doesn't work.

In checking "reliability", there was only one Red X and it was for Libre Office on 8/25 - so nothing to do with my inability to use System Restore.

In checking "event viewer", there are no Critical listings. The Error listings are as follows -
    Event ID 1001 - Address Configuration event
    Event ID 315 - Sharing a Printer
    (these 2 events happen every day and every time I use my laptop apparently)
    Event 8210 - System Restore
    (this was from yesterday, the last time I tried doing a System Restore)

And that's it - no other errors.

I have a question after looking up the current usage for you under "restore". Within that box, under "Protection Settings" I have Local Disk C turned on, but System is turned off.
    Is that correct? Or should System be turned on as well? Would this have any effect on my not being able to do a System Restore?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pam,

FWIW: I normally have system restore turned off (I do a lot of images with Macrium Reflect) but I had turned it back on to try to solve a vexing problem. When I went to do a restore I also got the same message as you. Resorting to Safe Mode as Sudo suggested fixed the problem.

You should check out this Bleeping Computer Article.
    I followed the advice in this article when it was sent to me by a friend and it paid off. Note: you have to continuously tap that F8 key while booting.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-09-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to restore my computer by going into Safe Mode. However, the problem that happened that brought all of this to light, my Fatal Error message when attempting to open Bookworm program, still remains. I restored the computer to an early enough time that the game was still functional then - but when I try to open it now I still get the Fatal Error message I detailed in my original posting.

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry - Have sent off an email to Popcap games.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That was a useful link RG but as Pam is posting in the Win 7 section then I assume she's using Win 7 and not 8.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    OOPS! I get so confused sometimes. headbang.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    OOPS! I get so confused sometimes. headbang.gif
    Love the gif

Thanks
    Something else to try:
    (under the assumption the game has become corrupted and or corrupted some part of Windows as well)

Make certain you are operating from an admin account with full admin privileges.

Run a check disk scan on the laptop's drive.
    Take a closer look at the event viewer for issues, if it's too full of errors, remove them and try what you've
    previously been doing in the hope of regenerating the errors and actually getting more meaningful error data.

Create an image backup of the laptop's drive to an external hard drive, ensuring that you have made
    and tested a bootable disk by the imaging application of your choosing. (anything except Windows imaging)
    [You'll need to be able to boot to the image restoration disk and physically locate the image on the external drive]
    Also make sure you've made a bootable recovery disk for the OS in the event of a repair install.
    This would also be a good time to take a closer look at your laptop's recover options should it be needed in the future.

Completely uninstall the faulty game in question and empty the recycle bin.
    Boot the computer.
    Run a registry cleaning tool such as CCleaner's registry cleaner and remove all entries found.

Open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow
    Do so several times.

If a check disk finds no errors, and the registry cleaner removes all traces of the game, the system file checker will
    hopefully rectify any operating system issues related to residual file corruption.
    Worth a shot imo.

Never rely on system restore or the default Windows imaging regimen.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-09-02 at 10:09.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've seen on another forum where sfc picked up on corrupt game files but was unable to repair them - probably because they weren't system files, so while it may find and repair Windows files - it may not do so for the game and as Clint has suggested, reinstalling the game may do it.

You can also use CCleaner in the Advanced section to clear Event Viewer Logs, but uncheck the box after doing it once.