Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows back up Acronis

W 7 64bit Information please. When doing a Back up using Acronis you Format to do a System Image. Acronis is integrated with Windows Control Panel you start Back up in Acronis you finish and you have System Image in Acronis. It does not give you System Image in Windows or offer you the option to create a repair disk. So what do you do? Disengage Acronis and do System Image in Windows Back up and create a Repair Disk does the repair Disk have a System Image on it(always wondered) and then go to Acronis and create your System Image there? Obviously the order it is done is inconsequential as to Windows or Acronis or have I missed something which would not surprise me. I do not have files to save or anything of that nature what I do have is already on an Exterior Hard Drive. Thank you once again.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Wow, Phil, could it be more confusing?

I would suggest a single way to backup, be it Windows native imaging (which I would not prefer) or Acronis (which I use). There is no confusion, really, just pick Backup and Recovery -> Disk and Partition Backup, pick the disks you want to backup, choose a backup destination and name, a backup scheme (I always do custom backups, which make full disk images) and it's done. The boot media for Acronis is done just once, whenever you update the Acronis version.

This is what I do. I take these images for each system, including all disks, once a week.

For your imaging app different from the Windows native app, you will need to create a rescue disc, once. If you use Windows, you will need to create a recovery disk. A recovery disk has no image. It just has files that allow it to boot to an environment from which you can choose an image to restore from one of your existing images (or create an image, etc). This recovery disk also needs to be created only once.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-31)

Thanks
    A recovery disc must always be created, for any imaging application you intend on using, preferably
    BEFORE you even attempt to create an image.

Pick one application and learn how to use it. That means reading through the documentation:
    http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/
    http://www.acronis.com/en-us/downloa...11.5/userguide
    https://forum.acronis.com/
    http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-31)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui thanks only confusing because I wanted to put all choices out there and not have to have people ask a lot of questions. I use custom also because I don't need all those incremental things and now I will just do a repair disk from W 7 is that what you mean? I just didn't want all my eggs in one basket is why the System Image and the repair Disk and I also am going to go to once a week. One more Question when you dispose of your Disks how do you do it? I asked a Technician and he just take one outside and scrape it on the cement does that work? Thanks again.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint Thanks for your help and advice on the Office Update situation it worked out very well. I have the Acronis user guide and I will have to look in it and thanks I see it in your post. At the time that I was reading it I was just trying to learn how to do Back ups I wasn't hip enough to realize I should be doing a repair disk always also so didn't even think about reading about it. Is making the repair disk from Acronis a better choice than from Windows or is it pretty much of a toss up? Thanks for your info and help much appreciated. Was just in L.A. last month on a trip back from Ecuador.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Phil,

In regards to images, I really don't think you need alternatives. What you need to make sure is that whatever imaging based process you use, it works. So, you should make sure your rescue disk works by booting from it, that your images are accessible from the rescue environment, that is, that once you boot using the rescue disk, that you can access your images, verify them browse them and even restore them. There was a long discussion about the need to actually restore an image to make sure the process would work and although I agree this is the best guarantee that you can get, I don't advise it to someone who may feel lost if the restore fails.

Anyway, once you are sure the chosen process works, all that you need to do is follow it religiously. Of course, if you feel better to have to distinct processes, that won't be bad, but any backup strategy is all about cost / benefit. If you are willing to pay the effort, it won't hurt.

I don't do multiple images, but my relevant documents and the code for the projects I work on, those are all somewhere in the cloud, as well. This gives me my images for full computer restore and the cloud for any even more catastrophic scenario where I would lose to my disks and computers.

Regarding disk disposal, I have never had to worry about it, so far. I have kept older disks around, but I guess thorough physical destruction could be employed. There are also software tools that can ensure that every bit of your disk is erased. I wonder if that is worth the effort, in personal computing.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-31)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Is making the repair disk from Acronis a better choice than from Windows or is it pretty much of a toss up? Thanks for your info and help much appreciated. Was just in L.A. last month on a trip back from Ecuador.
    Phil.
    You need both discs, but if you image with Acronis, the Acronis disc is essential. Without it you won't be able to restore your images, in case you need to and the operation system does not boot.

The Windows recovery disc is different. It can be helpful, to correct boot issues, especially if they can be solved without restoring a full image. For image restoration, you will always need the Acronis disc. So they actually have different purposes and you should have both.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-08-31)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui Those are all interesting points When I do a repair Disk I usually put it in and if it starts to download files I figure it must have worked maybe doing it that way is taking too much for granted you tell me? Disks here in bulk cost about 15 American cents that's less than a dollar a month to make repair Disks $1.00 if the day you have picked has 5 of them in that particular month I think well worth it. I just don't like having a lot of useless stuff hanging around that's why after I have about 6 weeks of disks I start offing them. Do you have a particular choice In regards to making a Repair Disk from Windows or Acronis? Good to talk to you hope the Family is well and thanks for your help again,
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui What are Physic you answered all my questions before I even got to post them? Okay I will have to get back into the Users Guide to see how to do Disks from Acronis. I had no idea what a shock that would have been I would have been in another situation like the time thing. Now I know why it didn't work one time when I tried to use it and it didn't work and with my meager knowledge had to figure a way around it. Thanks for saving me again.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui now I notice you spell Disc with a c and some people do with a k which is proper?
    Phil.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got an older version of Acronis. When I make a system image I boot from the rescue disk and do the image from there. That way Windows is not actually running. If you've got a paid version of Acronis go into your account and you should find a downloadable ISO for the rescue disk.
    Joe

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-01)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Rui Those are all interesting points When I do a repair Disk I usually put it in and if it starts to download files I figure it must have worked maybe doing it that way is taking too much for granted you tell me? Disks here in bulk cost about 15 American cents that's less than a dollar a month to make repair Disks $1.00 if the day you have picked has 5 of them in that particular month I think well worth it. I just don't like having a lot of useless stuff hanging around that's why after I have about 6 weeks of disks I start offing them. Do you have a particular choice In regards to making a Repair Disk from Windows or Acronis? Good to talk to you hope the Family is well and thanks for your help again,
    Phil.
    Phil,

For both the Windows and the Acronis discs, you only need to create new versions when you have new versions of Windows and Acronis. That's it. No need to update them outside these circumstances I have just described.

Regarding disc vs. disk, there are different interpretations (see What's the difference between a "disc" and a "disk?" ). I usually use disk for magnetic drives / SSDs and disc for optical discs (CDs, DVDs, etc). In fact, we should use media instead of disc, since pretty soon flash drives will replace CDs and DVDs as boot media for computers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-01)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe S I do have a paid version so that is good to know Thank you very much.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui So am I understanding correctly that if you am going to do Back up Image on Acronis I also need to do a Back up Repair Disc (Media) on Acronis and if I wish do the same on Widows? Thanks for the clarification on Disc & Disk. You are a virtual fountain of information. Thanks again for all your input.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The discs are not backup discs, they are discs meant to allow you to boot to an environment from where you can restore any of your images, even if your operating system is inoperative. The discs are important for that type of scenario. They are also important to allow you to test the restore scenario, making sure you can boot from them and access the images to be restore, before you actually need to do so. By testing, you can be confident that in a real situation where you need it, you will be able to access your images and restore them. This is true for any imaging app you use (Acronis, Windows native, etc.).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-01)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast