Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I manually set the display resolution?

I have two computers and 1 monitor and a KVM switch.

One of the computers will not recognise that there is a display (HP 24" monitor) over the VGA port via the KVM switch. There seems to be a line missing somewhere. If I correct it directly to the monitor, it works.

So, I thought I'd try using a DVI to VGA converter (the computer also has DVI). That works, but it sees the monitor with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080. The native resolution is 1920 x 1200.

I then tried DisplayPort to VGA - that also works but also does not have 1920 x 1200 as a resolution.

So, at the moment, I am stuck. Is there a way I can "force" Windows 7 to set the resolution correctly?

I have tried to change the monitor driver but it tells me I have the latest.

Any clues appreciated.

regards

Alan

Thanks
    Hi, Alan.

I'd say that the KVM, being VGA by the sound of it, is the limiting factor. Which make/model# is it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The KVM works fine with my other system and two others that I have connected (it's a 4 way KVM). It's just this one Windows 7 box (which has a specific HP derived build on it) which is causing problems.

As to the make & model, I can't remember but it's a good one with keyboard, button and software change control.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The other thing to mention is that when the Windows 7 PC starts up, the boot screen will show on the monitor if using VGA directly - it's only when Windows starts up that it all goes black again. I have tried loading newer drivers, but it makes no difference.

I don't think I can solve this issue (It's an HP company build so I can't do too much to it) which is why I want to see if I can manually set the resolution using DVI or Displayport to VGA converters.

Alan

Thanks
    Ok, I have seen something similar with the display showing at boot but getting 'lost' when Windows takes over when I used to use a VGA KVM. It wasn't an OEM Windows but I don't remember whether I 'fixed' it or not

Do you have the HP drivers loaded for the monitor, so that you can set resolution and refresh rates properly, rather than relying on Windows plug and play display defaults? There should be a zipped *.inf set available from HP.

When it comes to OEM Windows builds, differences are difficult to figure out but they can prove troublesome. We have a member here who has several HP notebooks in his household and installs Retail Windows on them as soon as they arrive!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have loaded the HP drivers for the monitor and it makes no difference.

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've experienced the same type problem with a KVM setup with a 21.5" monitor. Turned out the graphics adapter in one computer couldn't use the higher setting so I keep them all at 1440x900, also easier on my eyes. Using WinVista, Win7, Win8.1 and Linux Mint 17.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cheers - but that is not my issue. The PC WILL do 1920 x 1200 - it's just not playing ball when I go through my KVM.

So, back to my original question - can I manually set the resolution of a screen from within Windows 7 , overriding the defaults allowed.

Alan

Thanks
    Yes, you should be able to 'List all modes' from the Screen resolution > Advanced settings > Adapter tab and select/Apply the 1920x1200x60 32bit there. Whether it will work or not is another matter - fingers crossed, eh?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I don't think I've seen advised on here is to right click on an empty space on the desktop and select Screen Resolution - and then use the slider in the dropdown if you have that option on a desktop - laptops tend to be a bit limited.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Cheers - but that is not my issue. The PC WILL do 1920 x 1200 - it's just not playing ball when I go through my KVM.

So, back to my original question - can I manually set the resolution of a screen from within Windows 7 , overriding the defaults allowed.

Alan
    Yes, but if that setting is not available in Control Panel, Display it won't be selectable. Obviously the monitor could work with it so it's up to that video adapter or video card to support it. But then the KVM could have a problem with the port in use, try rearranging the KVM cables to other ports, see if the problem moves to a different computer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried different cables. Not sure if I've tried different ports, but as it works on laptop boot (did I say its a laptop? ) I wouldn't expect that to make a difference.

As to selecting the resolution manually, yes I tried that, even tried selecting 'unsupported modes' and still no sign of 1920 x 1200.

Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't know what you have on your HP but this Tosh laptop has AMD and you can open CCC and Desktop Displays - Add/Remove Display where it will detect what is connected to the laptop - does yours have anything like that ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes and it does detect a display but does not display the correct resolutions.

It gets weirder (I haven't mentioned this before). I actually have 2 24" displays - both identical. When they are both on DVI (the docking station has twin DVI outputs), all works fine. When one is on Displayport through to the KVM, that monitor does not display correctly.

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume you are trying to set different resolution for both monitor. I don't think you can define individual resolution for both monitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast