New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Variable Graphic Mergefields

I'm looking for guidance on the most intuitive way to set up some variable graphic merge fields in Word 2010 for mac. I am a graphic artist by trade and am tasked with setting up some templates in word using a database.

Some background on the project: I have a excel database with maybe 50 columns and maybe 150-200 rows. This data represents specific paths through a college for earning degrees (classes, locations, prerequisites, etc). So, each row represents a different degree. I have included seven different columns that correspond to college locations where these degrees are offered; if the degree is offered at that college location, the cell receives an ‘x’. Multiple colleges can offer the same degree.

With that in mind, I would like to include a “logo” for each college that offers a specific degree. Again, some degrees will have multiple logos that correspond to the colleges where it is offered. All the logos are exactly the same shape and size.

I created a sequence of IF THEN ELSE fields that are formatted as follows:
    { IF { MERGEFIELD College_A } = “x” “{ INLCUDEPICTURE “/users/filepath/College_A.jpg” \d}” “” }
    { IF { MERGEFIELD College_B } = “x” “{ INLCUDEPICTURE “/users/filepath/College_B.jpg” \d}” “” }
    This repeats seven times for each college location

My question: is there a better way to make this function? A more simple script possibly? I’m having issues where each time I open the template, the fields need to be “rebuilt” to have the links appear and function. Also, I will need to distribute the template to PC users for end use.

I read the sticky about variable graphics and mailmerge and it got me this far but I’m coming up short with something that will function properly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a note, my Office for Mac OS X is version 2011 and I've not seen much difference in the basics from my Office 2010 on Win7 but any possible solutions you're offered should work.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Instead of using the INLCUDEPICTURE field, I'd be inclined to put the actual pictures into the fields:
    {IF{MERGEFIELD College_A}= "x" "College_A_Pic"}
    {IF{MERGEFIELD College_B}= "x" "College_B_Pic"}
    That way, you need never concern yourself with whether the path changes - something quite likely to happen when moving between PCs & Macs or even amongst different PCs & Macs.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2014-09-02),njmedin (2014-09-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This worked beautifully! Thanks for your help—you saved a small team a lot of unnecessary work.

I guess I didn't realize that word docs can have images embedded, but of course this makes sense.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,

Can you please give me a hint on how to store the image and refer to it by name in the document as you have in the example {IF{MERGEFIELD College_B}= "x" "College_B_Pic"}. How do you assign the name to the image?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You put the actual image where you see 'College_B_Pic'.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Tas Ranson (2014-09-04)