New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Typing in Outlook 2003

I've been using MS Outlook 2003 satisfactorily for years (with a Win 7 laptop), but began having problems in the past few days. When I'm typing a message, the cursor often jumps around so new typed letters wind up where they're not supposed to be. It's driving me nuts, and I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Interestingly, I'm experiencing some the same problems typing this message.

I have tried using HTML and Rich Text formats with the same results. Maybe fewer such problems using "plain text" format.

Please help.............Toby

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you have a wireless mouse check the batteries. If you are using a notebook you could be brushing the touchpad.

Also, Outlook 2003 used IE to render HTML email. The version of IE you have may cause problems for Outlook 2003.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, Outlook 2003 used IE to render HTML email. The version of IE you have may cause problems for Outlook 2003.
    Could be, there's a lot of intertwining between Microsoft Office and Windows, probably part of why it's not recommended to use, or not supported in using, older programs with the newer OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Older versions of Microsoft software were known to produce non-standard HTML. Not sure that Outlook did but it would not surprise me. Nor would it surprise me if Outlook used some API that acts much differently in newer versions of IE than IE5 or 6. Both versions were in broad use when Office 2003 was released in November 2003.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem by installing TouchFreeze, which disables the touchpad while you're typing.

Toby

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great!!! Glad you got it resolved. Those touchpads can be very sensitive. Thanks for posting back.

Joe