New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP recovery issue

I have a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. This computer will not boot up to reach the “Start”. Further, it won’t let me get past the "system recovery partition". It goes through the motion, then starts over again as if to create a new partition. Therefore, I can't get to the Start button on my computer. Also, I've tried the F1, F4, F8, F10, F11, and ESC keys--with no good results. Lastly, I have no Discs for my computer. However, my computer seems to try to format the hard drive and reinstall the original factory settings--then it reverts back to the message press "F” to format the hard drive....

There are great suggestions regarding Windows XP, however, the Windows XP will not let me use the suggestions, downloads, and “F” keys, or get to the “Start” button. Please contact me regarding this matter.

Moreover, if I could gain access to the Windows XP recovery system, I could fix the problems. Again, the computer with the problem is the one I need to apply the suggestions, downloads, and use the “F” keys on.

Lastly, is there a way I can extract or burn disks from my Windows 7 to restore my Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to factory settings.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I moved this from the Contact Us forum and edited to remove the user email address.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would try booting with Parted Magic and use the GParted utility to take a look at the partitions. If you see what looks like a viable recovery partition (5-13 GB partition on the end or the beginning probably), use GParted to set the boot flag on for that partition and then reboot and see if it goes into the restore to factory settings routines automatically. Set the boot flag back to the system partition if that doesn't work.
    If you think its a hardware problem you might try cloning the disk in hopes that the recovery partition is fine and then try the same actions on the new drive.
    At this point no one should be relying on recovery media for unsupported OSes so for any other similar system or if you get this one going again, make your own system image for recovery and protection.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Haynes View Post
    I have a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. This computer will not boot up to reach the “Start”. Further, it won’t let me get past the "system recovery partition". ... I have no Discs for my computer. ...

Lastly, is there a way I can extract or burn disks from my Windows 7 to restore my Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to factory settings.
    Last first. No Win7 won't help you restore XP MCE, you will need to procure/borrow a set of XP MCE disks to do that. I suspect this is a big box maker PC???? It is possible they still may have system recovery disks left that run maybe $10 but will WIPE all data from the drive. eBay XP MCE disks can be found pretty cheap last I looked if you are still wanting to use this PC as opposed to just recover the data upon the HDD. Fair chance a computer geek friend might have a set you can borrow assuming your product key is attached to the case where it is required to be. Again backup the drive BEFORE attempting repairs of you care about the data.

Before I tried the Parted Magic recommendation I would recommend downloading the HDD testing app from the HDD maker's download site and see if the HDD tests OK. Be prepared to write a 3-4 digit error code down.

If the app offers to "fix" the drive say no, exit and back up the drive before continuing because once writes are attempted you can lose data. Once backed up you can go back and try to fix the drive. If the "fix" works get ready to buy a new drive as a "fixed" drive may fail within hours or within a decade more service---can't tell except the drive needed to be fixed so how reliable would it make you feel?

If the drive passes the diagnostic app then I'd still make sure I FIRST backed up the drive and then probably use TestDisk instead of Parted Magic to examine the disk.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2014-09-04 at 14:08.

jwoods
    If you need to use a commercial product, you might take a look at SpinRite...

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1) Click the “Start” button and go to “Control Panel
    2) Then under “System and Security”, click “Review your computer’s status”.
    3) After this, click “Maintenance”.
    4) Under “Check for solutions to problem reports”, click “View reliability history”.
    5) In Reliability Monitor, you can:
    6) View the details of any event on the graph by clicking it.
    7) View the stability index of a specific period of time by clicking “Days” or “Weeks”.
    8) View more information about any event by clicking “Action”.
    9) For viewing the problems that have occurred on your computer, click “View all problem reports”. This will not show any other computer events except computer problems.
    Last edited by satrow; 2014-12-27 at 08:30. Reason: Removed spam URL.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jacob123Micheal, I notice you are a new subscriber so would suggest you check the dates of postings. In this case more than 2 weeks have elapsed since the last post and the problem most likely has been resolved or the computer was thrown out.