Thread: HerdProtect

New Lounger
    Thanks

HerdProtect

Has anyone taken a look at Herdprotect (www.herdprotect.com)? I've thought about using it, but wanted opinions regarding it.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2014-09-03 at 22:56. Reason: fixed URL

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A user can install this portable scanner on any Internet connected PC and scan their entire computer for known malware in under 60 seconds
    At best this is a claim that beggars belief. I suggest this product is treated with great caution.

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2014-09-06 at 10:57.

Thanks
    As of mid March of this year, and as far as I know, Reason Company Software Inc. has not sought, nor have they received permissions to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) in this manner.

IMHO this might make one theorize that maybe Reason Company Software Inc. has not received permissions from other similar companies to use their software either.
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

Thanks
    I could not complete even one scan with HerdProtect. It tried to upload to the Cloud over 2 GB from my hard drive (mostly things like VLC Player, which should already be in their database). Over my DSL connection, this resulted in aborting the scan and removing the software. Windows 7 HP 64-bits, SP1.

Even Hitman Pro takes over twenty minutes to complete a scan over my DSL connection. This is also unacceptable for Cloud AV which isn't even scanning all areas on the C: Windows partition. And Hitman Pro never produces even one detection which Malwarebytes Free doesn't find.

Note well -- HerdProtect did not even scan all users on my C: Windows partition. At least not before I aborted it.

The whole concept of Cloud AV without very fast broadband internet services, seems to me to be about as practical as trying to back up a terabyte hard drive to CDs. The bandwidth is simply not there to make this concept practical.

I won't comment on the permissions to use AV engines issue. I suspect VirusTotal has similar issues from time to time, but again, I don't have hard evidence one way or the other.

Maybe if any of these products would actually do a complete system scan without clogging upstream bandwidth, then actually remove something without charging extra fees, or even find anything worth removing, I might have a less negative opinion of the whole class of Cloud AV. But as of now, this whole concept is not ready for general use, in my opinion.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-11-15 at 03:38.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    I won't comment on the permissions to use AV engines issue. I suspect VirusTotal has similar issues from time to time, but again, I don't have hard evidence one way or the other.
    With VirusTotal (Google), businesses approach VirusTotal with their products and give their use permissions to VirusTotal.
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PW View Post
    With VirusTotal (Google), businesses approach VirusTotal with their products and give their use permissions to VirusTotal.
    That is good news. No problems there then.
    -- Bob Primak --