3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Linux Backup data into Win7

Dear Sirs,
    I am trying to pull my Linux data from an external 1 TB drive into my Win7 Enterprise OS so that I can back it up with CrashPlan Central before I change this Win7 Enterprise illegal OS to a Win7 HomePremium 64 bit new system. I was told to use [I]Disk Internals/LinuxReader[I] to do this.
    But I am having lots of problems with file size notifications. Normally, what I do is use 'properties' to change some things and then it works. But I have come across a file name that won't even allow me to go into 'properties' to change anything.
    My first question is: Is there a better program that won't take so much time pulling the data over into a Win7 OS from my previous Linux system.
    Second, what can I do to get to the properties of this file in order to allow the program - if this is the only program I can use - to allow me to access the 'properties' of the file?
    Here is the file name that is my current woe:
    "kidsshortworks005_11thestoryofthefourlittlechildr enwhowentroundthe world_js_64kb_mp.3"

Nothing I click will give me the 'properties' section so that I can shorten the name and possibly change some unwanted characters in the metadata.

Does anybody know a different program that will allow for more laxity in the file names (many need to be changed and it's very time-consuming) or who can tell me what I can do to access the properties of this file?

Thank you very much,
    Julia Henson

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's something you can safely try.
    Download and burn a Linux live DVD (your favorite distro).
    Then boot from the DVD with your external drive connected.
    With any luck, you will be able to see your file and maybe rename it. If you can't rename it, maybe you will be able to copy it to your C drive with a new short name.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hoping for different software first - (Linux bu to Win7 OS)

Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    Here's something you can safely try.
    Download and burn a Linux live DVD (your favorite distro).
    Then boot from the DVD with your external drive connected.
    With any luck, you will be able to see your file and maybe rename it. If you can't rename it, maybe you will be able to copy it to your C drive with a new short name.
    Thank you, Riffraff. I do have a Linux boot and if I really need to do that I will, but I will hopefully find different software that will not give me so many problems (this is only the 1st impossible file name I have encountered). I am having to rename almost 40% of the file names and am hoping that someone will know a different, better software for bringing these files over. I will make a note of the name and where it is (and which backup) so that I can go back to it if there is nothing else to be done. I am easily confused when I switch all these things - I hope you don't mind that I am going to wait, because your suggestion is clearly one that should work and I appreciate it very much. Thank you, Julia

Thanks
    As you are experiencing, Windows has problems with filenames where the filename including path exceeds 250 characters. Try Long Filename Finder to list the filenames you are going to have problems with. It's a standalone utility so doesn't need to be installed, just unzipped. It also allows file renaming by just double-clicking on the found files. I don't have any overlong filenames to test it on.

If you can't shorten the filename itself, trying shortening the folder name(s) leading up to the file itself to reduce the overall path length or map a logical drive to the folder so that the path length is shortened.

Have a look at Old Path Scanner (bottom of the webpage). It will show you any files where the path length is going to cause problems.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-12-05 at 02:53.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Julia Henson (2014-12-07)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    ...Windows has problems with filenames where the filename including path exceeds 250 characters...
    Actually I think it's 255 characters.

OP could try running the DOS REN command from an admin-level command prompt, type:

ren /?
    (enter)

to get parameters/switches.

I often run into "filename too long" errors when backing up customers' files.

Contrary to what most users assume, Windows considers a "filename" as including the path to the file from the drive's root folder.

I.e.: most users would think the filename of a Word document named "Foo.doc" located in their Documents folder would be just "Foo.doc". But Windows considers "Foo.doc" to be only the "file title", not the filename (which includes the path to the file). As long as the user's Documents folder is at the default Windows location the filename of "Foo.doc" is considered by Windows to be:

C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Foo.doc

An example of a ridiculously-long filename might be something like:

C:\Users\[username]\Music\Some Music Group with a very long name like We Like To Be Used As An Example Of How Not To Name Folders And Files In Windows\Some Music Group with a very long name like We Like To Be Used As An Example Of How Not To Name Folders And Files In Windows title one\Some Music Group with a very long name like We Like To Be Used As An Example Of How Not To Name Folders And Files In Windows title one Track Fifteen.mp3

Any of my fellow grey-beard loungers who have been around since at least the "good-ole-days"??? of DOS6.22 & Win3.1 will have early learned to keep folder and file names as short as is reasonably possible.

Anyhow to return to the OP's present problem, I have found that Total Commander can successfully copy files that have too-long filenames. But when it first encounters such a file TC displays a prompt with options to "Keep All" or "Rename". After I click "Keep All" TC continues the copy operation, and retains the too-long filenames.

I have used TC since about Win95 (1995), have upgraded the program as each new version was released, and have never been nagged to "upgrade my licence".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try and/or use a couple of these things. I will mark the thread solved at the moment. I appreciate the several inputs.
    Julia