4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face hp Pavilion dv6-61 1 Ous Entertainment PC

I bought a new lap top a couple months ago great reviews 15 inch screen hp True Vision HD good sound system Roots if I remember right enough of that stuff. I get it and its nice and I open it up look around in it looks nice until I open the Computer part of it and it has a C Drive that is empty and a D Drive that is pretty much full and says Recovery which I had never heard of let alone any knowledge of and I think oh oh I screwed up big time dig around some more and find that HP has set up a system where no matter what you do you can always go back to the day you bought it which for people like me that don't know much is great because I make mistakes and I can start over. I am sure all you guys like Rui, Clint Retired Geek, KritzX,Joe S, cmptrgy, Trev all know this so forgive me this is for all the people that don't like me or didn't. This is my traveling Computer for when I go on a trip. Last month went to Ecuador via L.A. California when in Ecuador picked up a Root Kit the only reason I knew was all of a sudden MBAM PRO started asking me to download a Root Kit Driver every time I wanted to do a custom scan and checked Root Kit which it had never asked for before and I had probably done at least 30 scans by then because I been travelling for a couple of weeks by that time fortunately it was only a week before I was going to be headed back to L.A. and don't know any technicians in Ecuador and for some dumb reason didn't think about this Forum which was stupid in itself but do know some in L.A.. So wait to get there go to FRY'S Electronics and Technician says you got a bug I ask what kind he says Root Kit he says we can fix it for $70.00 I ask how he says we will reinstall w 7 I say I can do that he says you can I say yes and leave go back to my hotel in Newport Beach pull the battery out plug it in the wall hit the Factory restore button head for a bar in Newport where I used to hang out and drink some beer with a bunch of friends for a couple of hours go back it has restored its self to original condition start updates head back to the bar all this by cab incidentally go back later and set up my desktop and I am good as new. I am sure I am breaking all the rules by having such a long prologue and will be told I have broken all the rules of the Forum but I will have learned something else. Now here comes the question. This Computer tells me every time I turn it on I have not backed up my files I don't have any files what few I have are stored on an External that I have backed up from my desk top so I thought maybe I should just Back up the system Image just in case so I plug in the external and after it runs about 2 minutes a message pops up that it is probably going to overwrite some things on C Drive it made me stop and think then after I thought about it a bit and I believe that is just things I have put on it correct? And can I safely do a Back up Repair I don't want in any way mess up that Factory Reset Function already know that I cant Defrag or Clean up Files on anything but C drive. Thank you very much for putting up with the long winded story and am ready for the barrage of complaints and information please, thanks.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Phil,

Nothing you can do, backup or image wise, will affect the factory reset function. I doubt that creating an image will stop the message, though, since that message must come from a specific app (not sure if a native Windows one), so only a backup with that app will remove it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-04)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui Thanks very much for your reassurance I figured as much you have taught me well I just wanted a little reassurance. I figure you cant get to that Recovery partition even with a hand grenade. Thank you again Sir case closed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If this is the Windows notification you can turn it off by going to Control Panel | System and Security | Action Center. In the left pane click on "Change Action Center settings". Then clear the check box for "Windows Backup" and click OK.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2014-09-04)