2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse pointer freezes

I've recently been having the mouse pointer freeze -- sometimes momentarily, sometimes it doesn't recover and in that case, sometimes but not always, the laser in the mouse goes out. This is happening when the CPU is operating at a low usage and moderate temperature. USB-connected mouse; computer has an Intel DP67BG motherboard and i7-3770 CPU and is running Windows 7 Home Premium; nVidia GeForce GTX 650 graphics card. Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware find no threats. I have always been able to recover so far by unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in, though one time I had to plug it into a different port. Still, this is scary. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Have you tried using a different mouse?
    Fact of Life:

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”
    Terry Pratchett

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I tried a different mouse. I also tried system restore back to before the problem happened. No dice, and that lost all my tabs in Firefox. I have the sessionstore file backed up but Firefox doesn't find it. That may have something to do with the recent Firefox update which was rolled back by the system restore. The keyboard isn't working until Windows boots, so I can't get it to start in Safe Mode to check that. Software problem? Hardware problem? Don't know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article may help you to troubleshoot the USB ports http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id...orts-work.html and this article will show you how to navigate just using the keyboard http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-mouse-pointer - both of which hope will help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved, another problem created and solved. The problem was either the mouse or the driver. The third mouse I tried installed a new driver and now the problem has gone away. I had tried a system restore and that caused a problem with Firefox which i'll describe in another post.