New Lounger
    Thanks

Any way to list the folders for which I have access/permissions?

Hello, this is my first post. I searched the threads and didn't see this topic so I hope it's not a repeat.
    I am wondering if it is possible for a user to run a command or VBS that will return a list of folders (fully qualified paths would be great!) for which I have R/W permissions? I'm running WIN7 and do not have admin rights. I'm not up to anything nefarious - just trying to document the folders for which I already have access. In our corporate environment there are many servers and tens of thousands of shared folders. I lose track of which ones are available to me. (And the admins reorganize often so things are not always where I remember them being the last time I accessed folders/files.)
    Thank you.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can do a manual scan with a permission reader, but it won't necessarily show you everything - you could have a map to a folder that is not accessible by drilling down through the top level folders and you would have to search through all servers on the network in case you have access somewhere. I used to do this on file servers so we, as admins, could see who had permissions where, but it's not a straight forward task. Basically I'd stick to putting your documents in your "My Documents" and shared documents where your colleagues suggest.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

SamCal (2014-09-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can do a manual scan with a permission reader, but it won't necessarily show you everything - you could have a map to a folder that is not accessible by drilling down through the top level folders and you would have to search through all servers on the network in case you have access somewhere. I used to do this on file servers so we, as admins, could see who had permissions where, but it's not a straight forward task. Basically I'd stick to putting your documents in your "My Documents" and shared documents where your colleagues suggest.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul. Your reply gave me the phrase I need to search: permissions reader. That led me to SYSINTERNALS, of which I have been a fan for many, many years. I even have Mark Russinovich's book - I just don't get a chance to try 'em all out. I think AccessChk may do the trick!

/sam/