5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 proper setups for now and into the future

I volunteer at a non-profit organization that has 4 Windows 7 Enterprise (x68) SP1 & 1 Windows 7 Pro (x64) SP1. They are networked and run fine. One of their volunteers set them up but now he has left and now I’m being requested to help straighten out some things.

The office manager who btw is also gone has a number of Folders and Files on his computer in the Document Library, which is shared. Within the number of Folders and Files in the his Document Library there is one folder named Shared Office Files which is meant for each one of the office personnel to work with and that’s been fine

Now the office personnel have asked me to assign a password to the Shared Office Files folder, as they are concerned that others who are not in the office anymore can access that information. I’m not a computer guru but I’m willing to do what I can but from what I’ve read a folder cannot be password protected

I’m going into the office later on today and I’m thinking of setting them up as a Homegroup network as I’ve been told they are set up as a Workgroup. So if I set up the office manager’s computer as a Homegroup and acquire the generated password I’m hoping that will protect the shared Documents Library which includes the shared Folders and Files on his computer unless someone knows the Homegroup generated password. Then I can set up each one of the other office computers to join the Homegroup so they can do their work. Does this make sense so far?

I know this raises more questions but if that works at least for the time being I can move on from there
    I would prefer that only the Shared Office Files folder be accessible to the office personnel without the rest of the office manager’s Folders and Files being accessible to any one else other than whoever the new office manager will be

I can get to the office only once a week so it’s going to take time for me to straighten out what needs to get done but I’ll do what I can. The reason I included "into the future" in the title is because I'm going to be following up with user accounts password, backups. maintenance & would know knows what else!

My edit: If I change their Workgroup to Homegroup will I have to go into System and select Change Settings and enter replace Workgroup with Homegroup in there also?
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2014-09-05 at 03:22.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Cmptrgy,

Ok, I know this is a Non-profit org. That said, what I would recommend is that you purchase a small Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. You can then place the shared files on the NAS which can be password protected. A side benefit of this approace is that the Manager's computer doesn't have to be ON for the others to have access to the documents. Note: you don't have to enable the "Cloud" feature!

A second approach would be to setup a second Password Protected User Account on the manager's machine, move the files to this account and share the folder. Go to each of the computers, including the managers while manager is logged on, and through File Explorer browse the network and attach to the new account. You will be prompted for the logon credentials. Provide the new user account information and check the remember on this machine box. You can then assign a drive letter to the now accessable shares. Note: with this method you want to stay with the workgroup network setup. Also, note that the above is a general list of steps if you are interested in this approach detailed instructions can be provided.

Obviously, option 1 is much easier to setup and administer.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-09-05)

Thanks
    If these computers are accessible from the outside, why not just change the access password, or remove the credentials of those that have left?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-09-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek thanks for the simple explanation. I believe I can follow up on either one of your two approaches. If the company doesn't want to "change" that's up to them but I certainly have 2 good options to propose. Even though I like option one better I would like to get a general list of steps for the second approach if you wouldn't mind. By the time the board of directors makes a decision I'd like to be ready on the spot either way
    Clint, they don't have any password protection going on right now but I'll address that and there aren't any credentials to remove
    I've been here for a few hours, created a system restore disc, created a backup folder of their important data file onto an external hard drive and have been doing some long overdue maintenance and will be doing a system image using Win7's method for the time being
    The way they talked to me yesterday asking for my help I thought I was going to be walking into a disaster; however, the good news at least they are running and are "serviceable" for proper maintenance and upkeep

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek, yesterday I mentioned "I would like to get a general list of steps for the second approach if you wouldn't mind"; well, let it go for now. I made some recommendations to the temporary person in charge and it appears they don't "get it" yet but I have your recommendations as well as mine in my project list and will ask for appropriate help as whatever needs to be done at the applicable time. Thanks for your time and suggestions.