Star Lounger
    Thanks

Manipulating Disk Partitions

Hi,
    I've just bought a new laptop with Win7 Pro 64bit installed and the hard disk (500GB) has already been partitioned into C: and D: drives of 219GB each, prior to delivery. (There is also a hidden recovery partition)
    Since I keep all my data files and my 'Windows Live Mail' email folders on my D: drive and just keep my C: Drive for the operating system, I would like to reduce the size of my C: Drive to say 100GB, and expand the size of my D: drive by adding the remaining 119GB to my D: Drive.

I know how to 'shrink' my C: Drive using the 'diskmgmt.msg' facility in Win 7, but I believe this will just create an additional partition, rather than add the 'balance' to the D: Drive.

I would appreciate advice on how I can achieve this re-arrangement of my new hard disk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Willum,

I'd advise the use of a third-party free tool like EaseUs Partition Master or the Partition Mini-Tool. These tools will shrink the C: leaving "unallocated space" which can then be added to D:. Make sure you do a disk image (I'd recommend Macrium Reflect Free) just in case!
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

willum08 (2014-09-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there RetiredGeek,
    Thanks so much for the quick response and your good advice. I'll certainly try your recommended tools. There's nothing on my new laptop's disks as yet (Except windows 7...) so maybe disk imaging is not too important - however, I'll make an image of my C: Drive just in case. I usually just use the imaging facility within Windows 7 to make my images on and external USB Drive, and always found it to be reliable....

Thanks again for your help - it is truly appreciated

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just received an email stating that I had another reply to my above post.

Quote :
    OS2_87_Dinosaur has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Manipulating Disk Partitions - in the Windows 7 Forum forum of Windows Secrets Lounge.

This thread is located at:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...s?goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    it sounds like all you need is the windows disk management tool as you originally stated.

When you say that your data files are on your D drive, these include your Desktop, Doc, Download, Music, Pics, Videos, etc, etc, etc Folders, right?

However, This reply does not appear in the thread !!!

In response to the question - apart from the Windows 7 OS, there is nothing stored on either drive - it's a brand new Laptop. The "Desktop, Doc, Download, Music, Pics, Videos, etc, etc, etc Folders" will remain in their normal position, but will be virtually unused since I create new folders for all my data on the D: Drive.

Thanks for your observations.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to willum08 For This Useful Post:

Star Lounger OS2_87_Dinosaur_Gizmo_Fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi (-:

I deleted my post because I was wrong.

I wasn't thinking.

You were right that when you shrunk the C ... then the space could NOT be added to THE FRONT of the D drive.

and I don't think the Windows disk managemnet does that, at least it didn't used to.

So I deleted my post because the other person's advice was accurate.

God bless you!
    Last edited by OS2_87_Dinosaur_Gizmo_Fan; 2014-09-07 at 09:34.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No Problem :-)

Kind Regards.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to willum08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi again - did you get the email in which I shared some things I learned about "moving" some system folders and stuff to your D data partition? I didn't want to post it all here for public scrutiny ... Ha Ha (-:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi OS2_Dinosaur,
    No, I have not received an email from you... Checked all my email accounts and 'Spam' boxes.... nothing !! I've sent you a private email.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willum08 View Post
    Hi OS2_Dinosaur,

No, I have not received an email from you... Checked all my email accounts and 'Spam' boxes.... nothing !! I've sent you a private email.....
    Dear willum08,

I am so sorry! I have wasted your time again. Please forgive me. I meant the email that Windows Secrets sends when you get a new reply to your thread. Apparently you did not receive it ( I must have deleted the post too soon. I was hoping it would work like the first time!). I will respond to the PM I received from you tomorrow. By the way, everything I shared you probably already know! nothing earth shattering, that is for certain (-:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Please do not send help via email or PM. Please post it here so everyone can benefit. Remove personal information and make it generic before posting.

Thanks,
    Joe