5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tuning Excel 2007

This has been going on for a long time, but I just woke up to the fact that I could ask this question here and see if there is a resolution.

I run Excel 2007 under Windows 7 SP1, with all patches applied in an up-to-date fashion.
    My Excel has a couple of add-ins, one being the Hoadley financial package which is a commercial product.

When I run a spreadsheet Excel often winds up taking almost 100% of the cpu cycles.

My question (finally): Is there a way to "tune" Excel so that it doesn't hog the cpu so much?

Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    Although more of a workaround and not a solution, there are 2 things that should reduce Excel hogging CPU cycles.

You did not mention what type of CPU and the number of cores it contains but if it is capable of hyperthreading, there will be more than 1 listed in the Excel options> Advanced> Formulas> Select manual and dial in the number of threads Excel can use. For example, if you have a Core I7 quad core with hyperthreading, you have 4 cores (individual processing) with each having the ability to have 2 threads (multitasking). It will show up as 8 threads but you can limit Excel to 4

MultiThread.png

The other option is reducing the priority if listed as higher than normal in task manager. I would not set this lower than normal as you may obtain unexpected results. This is only a temporary setting and will reset back to its default when excel is restarted

Priority.png

Like I said, these are only workarounds. The cause is more likely your spreadsheet having too intense formulas and/or vba code or your Excel add-in.

Maud

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-09-06)

Thanks
    Just another thought regarding your memory. With Win7 32 bit, or any other Win 32bit OS you are limited to about 3.2GB of available RAM. If you have onboard graphics, you are sharing what you do have available. If your spreadsheets are very large coupled with additional windows being open and multiple applications running in the background, you may be using up even morememory. Consequently, Windows will use your hard drive as temporary or virtual RAM. This means it is writing and reading from your hard drive which is about 1000 times slower then reading and writing to actual memory and uses much more CPU processing power to do so. You will see your HDD light flicker more tan usual and a slower performance. To take some load off of your CPU, close background programs, set anti-virus programs to scan only when idle, add additional memory if low, turn on graphics acceleration if available, add a graphics card (desktop computer) with at least 2GB VRAM, avoid large looping macros in your spreadsheets, and an occasional reboot wouldn't hurt.

Maud

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-09-07)