3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Checking for a locked record (Acc 97 sr2 on 95b)

Is there a way to check if a table has a locked record in it?

I tried to run an update query and had it tell me that 1 of the records in the table was locked.
    While this has only happened once, I would like to be able to guarentee that the update runs every time by putting in a check loop that will try so many times and then bomb out with a message saying "Update has not run, please try again." This update is manually run by an operator.
    "Heading for the deep end"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checking for a locked record (Acc 97 sr2 on 95b)

The simplest way would be to trap the error, pause for a moment and then retry it. However, what you're actually running into with Access 97 is a page lock, and you need to check your design to try to avoid those as much as possible. Under what circumstances is the update being run? What might have created a lock that is interfering?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checking for a locked record (Acc 97 sr2 on 95b)

Charlotte,

the job table has a column called totalhours that keeps a running total of the hours spent on the job. This value is updated daily from the work report from the previous day.
    This table also feeds a form that allows the details for the job to be viewed.
    Someone had one of the records that I wanted to update open on another machine.
    The update needs to be done between 8-9am each day.

I have to learn to write error trapping into my codes for this sort of situation.
    "Heading for the deep end"